Canada wont certify Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For all the time and effort, nor=t to mention holding the air you breathe, get rid of them and spend a few hun on a couple of brand new ones.

If you post the markings on the shoulder of the tank (the stamped text), people here might be able to help you interpret them, and possibly answer some of the questions and elaborate on which issues that have been mentioned apply.

Sorry for the delay, just got my Cylinders back and yes I went to a local Company which do \hydrostatic testing on Diving Cylinders and they told me the same thing, cant certify becouse they are not Canadian.

Anyhow here are the markings.

on the Neck----------------SBS 0806

On the Cylinder--------------DOT-3AL3000 SG8873
M-8201 LUXFER WC111Kg
TW14,5K g 1 (little round Staming SGS) 98 and another little round Stamping

Visual \inspection Sticker AUGUST 2006 SECHELLES- BUREAU OF STANDARDS

Thats it.

As mentioned before they both showed 3000psi before \i brought them down to the Shop. I had them in my posession on my yacht since May 2010 so \i know they hold pressure. Becouse they have a DOT Stamp on them I may take them across the Border and have them hydrotested and filled there. What do you think.--------------thanks, Gudu

And \i am told they are Aluminum (I thought they where Steel,sorry)

Pre 1993 scuba tanks with DOT stamps are granfathered and do not require a TC stamp. That said if they are aluminum and of the old alloy, which if the are Luxfer or Walter Kiddie. they would be, then you are going to have a problem getting them filled in many locations even if they pass an eddy test. If they are Catalina tanks then you are good to go but you will still find many shops refusing to fill cylinders of that age, no valid reason but their compressor their rules. Look at the neck of the tank and post the information here.
Gawd...your an EXSPERT in EVERYTHING .................................except diving .......

Sorry for the delay, just got my Cylinders back and yes I went to a local Company which do \hydrostatic testing on Diving Cylinders and they told me the same thing, cant certify becouse they are not Canadian.

Anyhow here are the markings.

on the Neck----------------SBS 0806

On the Cylinder--------------DOT-3AL3000 SG8873
M-8201 LUXFER WC111Kg
TW14,5K g 1 (little round Staming SGS) 98 and another little round Stamping

Visual \inspection Sticker AUGUST 2006 SECHELLES- BUREAU OF STANDARDS

Thats it.

As mentioned before they both showed 3000psi before \i brought them down to the Shop. I had them in my posession on my yacht since May 2010 so \i know they hold pressure. Becouse they have a DOT Stamp on them I may take them across the Border and have them hydrotested and filled there. What do you think.--------------thanks, Gudu

And \i am told they are Aluminum (I thought they where Steel,sorry)

The SBS 0806 means they were hydrostatically tested on August (08) 2006 (06). If there is no older stamp on the neck then the tanks are almost 6 years old.

Sechelles is an island country in the Indian Ocean. So these tanks came from some where on the other side of the planet. There is a good chance if they aren't certifiable in Canada, they aren't certifiable in the USA either. Even if you can get them filled in the USA, you might not be able to get them back filled. Someone at Canada Customs could tell you to drain them and remove the valve before you can transport them into Canada.

Additionally, are you going to go down to the USA every time you need an air fill? If you look around you can pick up a NEW cylinder for around $150. Sell the old cylinder for scrap aluminium and put the money towards the new cylinder.

Time is money. Why waste time on a cylinder from the other side of the planet? Just buy something local.

The 0806 would indicate the original date of manufacture if these are all the markings on the tank. Transport Canada (TC) does not recognize US DOT made cylinders that are not "dual marked" with both DOT and TC markings. (There are exceptions that I will not go into here) It is very unusual for cylinders made by Luxfer not to be dual marked. The M-8201 indicates they were made outside the US, which I assume is why it is not dual marked. So the bottom line is your cylinders are good in the US but not in Canada. Hope this helps. Roger

Finally can strike this item of my list. Last week had both Tanks visually inspected and hydrotested in Bremerton, cost 34.95 each plus 7.** per Air fill which I find very reasonable plus all was done while I was waiting allowing me to spend the time with dive gear shopping/Fun. Customs on both sides of the Border where no problems either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom