Canada border crossing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see a problem but I don't see it unreasonable that they could ask to look inside. The drugs hidden in SCUBA tanks trick is an old one. I'd bring them across with minimal air in them in case they need to take off the valves. The tanks may not need a new vis if the valves are only off briefly and are securely put back on.

Makes sense from their point of view - though with that reasoning I think it would be harder to get back into the US. Maybe I'll just leave mine on the US side at the hotel and rent if I jump across for a dive on their side.

If the east coast is like the west, you'll have an easier time getting into Canada than you will crossing back into the States on your return ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Whatever you do, don't tell the officer you're a commodities trader. That seemed to provoke a thorough search of the vehicle and my pockets--and they looked like they were considering being even more thorough. :wink:

I agree, but from what I read [I haven't been there yet] Thousand Islands is Canada/NY's answer to Caribbean diving with good viz and great diving. Apparently a lot of diving goes on there and the border guards must be used to divers going back and forth frequently between the towns on both sides of the border that make up Thousand Islands. They may be more used to seeing the tanks in the cars for this reason. I am mostly just concerned with taking my pony 13 with me anyway. I'll just leave the rest of my tanks where ever I'm staying to avoid any big hassels.

I have a thought...do you need to go to the Canadian side? There is nice shore diving right off Alexandria Bay. Also, the hassle of getting back and forth across the bridge to Canada has prompted dive operators to work from the American side. I know that Hunt's Diving near Alexandria Bay operates boats from the American side of the river.

I used to do train folks in technical diving and the water is pretty nice thanks to the zebra mussels. The Jodrey is a nice, deep wreck that we did some work on a few years ago.

Cheers,

X

:babycrawl::goingdown:I haven't been there yet so I don't know what to expect. I'm just leaving the options open in case I hear of good diving across the border while I'm there. I normally do shore diving off ME/NH coast so I would like to find some easy shore dive spots at Thousand Islands but I also want to do some training on wreck-diving and this area sounds like a good spot for it. I'm still relatively new to diving so I don't want anything too demanding or technical, just some training time. Any suggestions on who's door to knock on when I get there would be much appreciated.

In order to meet US DOT compliance a tank must have a crown marking indicating compliance - fol AL tanks this will be DOT-3AL. In order to meet Transport Canada compliance a tank must have a crown marking indicating compliance - fol AL tanks this will be TC-3ALM. If these marks are not present your tank cannot be transported or filled in that country.

:babycrawl::goingdown:I haven't been there yet so I don't know what to expect. I'm just leaving the options open in case I hear of good diving across the border while I'm there. I normally do shore diving off ME/NH coast so I would like to find some easy shore dive spots at Thousand Islands but I also want to do some training on wreck-diving and this area sounds like a good spot for it. I'm still relatively new to diving so I don't want anything too demanding or technical, just some training time. Any suggestions on who's door to knock on when I get there would be much appreciated.

I would contact Hunts for the US side. They are nice folks.

Hunts Dive Shop - SCUBA Diving

Aside from the technical training...there is very nice shore diving in Alex Bay. The viz. is terrific. There are historical remnants to find at a depth not much more than 30-60 and it's got a dedicated air station next to the site operated by Hunts. The site is 1/2 a block up from a sub sandwich shop called J Wrecks and adjacent to the hospital in town. :D Parking is not too much of an issue (summer) and the site is walk in diving. If you go to the Canadian side - Dan Humble operates a very nice shop. They can also set you up. Dive Tech Training Centre - Home Page

There are numerous wrecks in the area which fits the recreational dive level like the Keystorm, America etc which are terrific.

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom