100HP vs 117 steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnydive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for my first set of tanks. Should I go 100 or 117 dive in Canada I’m 5’9” and 160lbs

I like HP100's. If you can find a shop that will fill them to service pressure or higher (3442 psi / 237 bar), they're a great choice. If your local shops will only fill to 3000 psi / 206 bar or less, look for low-pressure tanks like LP85s or LP95s. All of these tanks have a 7.25" / 18cm diameter, which is the same as the common AL80 tanks you'll use when travellng to warm water.

HP117's will hold a bit more gas, which is nice. But, the tank is 8" / 20cm in diameter, so you'll need to adjust your tank straps when traveling. Not a big deal, but not the choice I'd make.

Whatever you do, look on the local market for used tanks. Steel tanks last decades unless they're allowed to rust. So, if they are in hydro (and ideally in vis), then they're fine to buy used. And you'll save a couple hundred bucks per tank, versus buying new ones. The first tanks I bought were new, and all the ones after that were used... I'll never buy new again, it's a waste of money :)

Cheers, and welcome to ScubaBoard

The question is, "how much gas do you need"? For most recreational dives, an HP100 will be more than sufficient. If you are planning deeper/longer dives than the typical recreational dive or you have an especially high SAC rate, then a 117 might be useful.

Something to put into perspective, in the US and Caribbean, the vast majority of dives are done with AL80s. An HP100 holds substantially more gas than an AL80. The HP100 is a really great tank. Unless you breathe especially heavy or are planing on diving deep, the HP100 is likely to meet your needs.

A pair of HP 100s would be great for an initial set of tanks. I like my 119s for doing longer or deeper dives, but those hang out on my shelf more than not with the AL80s... my 100s are my go to for most dives.

Just spent a week diving HP117s with Aldora in Cozumel. Not sure it's relevant to your scenario, but I am about 5'8" and 180-190lbs, and I found the 117s quite manageable.

[EDIT]: this was with a freedom plate and VDH wing. I would not have wanted to have that much mass on my old jacket BCD.

HP100s get my vote. They are darn close to the perfect tank IMO. I don't care for the "fat" 8" tanks. I've dived them and have owned a few. To me, they just don't dive well. You are a similar build to me. I think you will find the HP100 a perfect tank for you. They are crazy popular and easy to sell (if you ever decide to) for a reason.

I'd go for the HP100s. Easy to double up or sidemount. Work on trim, proper weighting, efficient finning, relaxed breathing to extend your gas supply

I like HP100's. If you can find a shop that will fill them to service pressure or higher (3442 psi / 237 bar), they're a great choice. If your local shops will only fill to 3000 psi / 206 bar or less, look for low-pressure tanks like LP85s or LP95s. All of these tanks have a 7.25" / 18cm diameter, which is the same as the common AL80 tanks you'll use when travellng to warm water.
Agreed except I'd get the HP100s over the LP tanks even if you can only get a 3000 psi fill. An HP100 is close to the same size as an LP85 (which actually contains 83 cu ft at its rated pressure), so even at 3000psi you get around 10% more gas with the HP tank (unless the shop will overfill the LP tank which I don't think is common in Canada). And if the shop ever upgrades its compressor or you use a different shop that can go to 3442, you will be able to take full advantage.

The LP95 is about the same size as the HP117, so the same logic applies if you want to deal with these fatter and heavier tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom