Can you take a look at my Apeks ATX 200?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gerardnealon

Contributor
Reaction score
If you think I shouldn't be doing this to my regulator then tell me straight up. It doesnt seem that hard to me, otherwise I would not be playing around with life support equiptment. With that said...

I had to swith my ATX 200 back to yoke for a dive vacation and now I want to put it back to normal. Here are the parts my LDS gave to me when he switched it to yoke.

And here is my first stage as it is now...

It seems like all I have to do is screw off that big nut inside the yoke, and attach my din piece with it assembled as so..

There is a allen opening inside the din adapter that will allow me to screw it into the first stage. So.... do you think that will work ok? Or am I missing something? Also, about my long hose I want to attach. I ordered a long hose for ATX 200 so I dont need an adapter (at least that is what my LDS told me)

Here is the hose...

and here is the end of my second stage...

it looks to me that if I hold one end and unscrew the other the original hose will unscrew and I wont have to worry about anything turning inside the second stage then the long hose will screw right in.

OK sorry for the million pixs. No hard feelings if you tell me to bring it to my LDS. I would just like to be self-sufficient where applicable. Thanks for any help.

If your not sure you might take it to the LDS. Talk to them nicely and they might even walk you through it.

crpntr133:
If your not sure you might take it to the LDS. Talk to them nicely and they might even walk you through it.

yeah, I might have to end up doing that. I hope they would walk me through it, he didnt charge me to switch is back to yoke, then again I just bought a $640 housing from him :wink:

...question: why don't you leave your 1st stage set up a DIN, then use a ScubaPro DIN-to-yoke screw on adapter ? I dive Mares, Poseidon and Atomics regs, all set up as DIN 1st stages, the adapter can be added/removed in about 2 seconds.......it appears you are doing things the hard way.

Karl

scubafanatic:
...question: why don't you leave your 1st stage set up a DIN, then use a ScubaPro DIN-to-yoke screw on adapter ? I dive Mares, Poseidon and Atomics regs, all set up as DIN 1st stages, the adapter can be added/removed in about 2 seconds.......it appears you are doing things the hard way.

Karl

Well, yea that is an option. But I heard the adapter makes the first stage stick out alot causing you to bump your head especially when you maintain horizontal trim. Also the main reason I didnt do that, I had no time. I forgot I had to switch it over before the trip and the LDS didnt have it in stock. So I didnt have an option. BTW do you hit your head on your adapter at all?

gerardnealon:
Well, yea that is an option. But I heard the adapter makes the first stage stick out alot causing you to bump your head especially when you maintain horizontal trim. Also the main reason I didnt do that, I had no time. I forgot I had to switch it over before the trip and the LDS didnt have it in stock. So I didnt have an option. BTW do you hit your head on your adapter at all?
I use an adapter quite often. I never bumped my head on it. The only drawback is the additional failure point you introduce with another O-ring. The risk might be lower though than rebuilding your first stage everytime you have to change from DIN to yoke...

hugo:
I use an adapter quite often. I never bumped my head on it. The only drawback is the additional failure point you introduce with another O-ring. The risk might be lower though than rebuilding your first stage everytime you have to change from DIN to yoke...

interesting... I agree on changing the first stage every time cant be good. I dive in the caribbean very rarely so I really dont have to worry too much about it. Thanks for your input. Just curious, can you reach the valve on your tank when diving? Some people wear there tank so low I can understand how they dont hit their head with an adapter.

I thought the same thing about the adapter hitting me in the head. I bought a Zeagle adapter on eBay and I never knew it was there during my last dives. I even bent my head back a bit to test it and had quite a bit of room. I think some adpaters stick out more than others. I decided not to keep switching my reg from DIN to yoke as it would put extra wear the regulator threads.

I wear my tank quite high. The adapter adds less half an inch to the total profile. If you bang your head on the adapter, you probably do the same with any other first stage.

My Regs and tanks are all DIN. When I travel I change one of the regs over to yoke. It's a very easy swap, maybe 2 minutes. Have your LDS show you how if it makes you more comfortable with it.

Adapters SUCK. They also are another failure point. I had to thumb a dive in the Bahamas because of an o-ring problem in the adapter. ever since then I switch my regs when I travel.

Yes I found the adapter to stick out but not to much. looking where I was going I could feel it at the back of my head.

Back
Top Bottom