Can you recommend a good scuba bag with wheels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FPDocMatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'd like to purchase a scuba bag with wheels, but there are so many choices I'm not sure which would be good. I don't need it as a carry-on bag on an airplane. I pack my scuba gear in my suitcase and check it. I need it for the convenience of not having to lift my gear from the hotel to the dive shop. So it needs to be big enough to hold fins, BC, regulator, wetsuit, boots, and mask. And I'd rather pay a little extra and get high quality. Any suggestions?

So it sounds like you want it to be able to pack it in your gear bag on a trip? If that's the case, I don't know but if it's just so you have something to put your gear on and off the boat then I would recommend the xs scuba wheeled mesh bag. I have had it for years and put it through a lot of crap. It actually slid off my truck onto the highway (long story) and just had a couple of scuff marks.

I know it doesn't have wheels, but the dive caddy is a great gear bag. Fully loaded, my 12 year old can carry it on his back with no problems.

So it sounds like you want it to be able to pack it in your gear bag on a trip? If that's the case, I don't know but if it's just so you have something to put your gear on and off the boat then I would recommend the xs scuba wheeled mesh bag. I have had it for years and put it through a lot of crap. It actually slid off my truck onto the highway (long story) and just had a couple of scuff marks.
that seems pretty cool. How does it actually "Folds up to a compact size for traveling divers"? XS Scuba BG150 Wheeled Mesh Duffel

I had picked up a Divers Direct Evo mesh bag with backpack straps and a lengthwise zipper.

That's the one. It folds down alright but the wheel area takes up some space cause it's a hard plastic. I do love that bag though.

As far as it "folding down" I would say that you fold the bag over on the hard plastic wheel area. Not sure though cause I use it only locally.

Check out the FIL rolling duffel at Costco. $40 and it will hold two sets of dive gear. When on the boat, you can push down the top and shove the thing under the boat seat. From what I can see, it is as good quality as some of the more expensive bags I have seen, and for $40, if something does break, you won't be crying about it. Just go get another one: Costco will replace if something breaks.

I would recommend the Akona mesh bag. I know it does not have wheels, but once it's on your back you barley notice the weight. The mesh is of a high quality and will protect your gear very well. With no gear in it, it can fold up and fit in your checked suitcase. The straps are padded and very comfortable. They can be adjusted to fit on your back perfectly. There are a couple of extra areas in which you can store your gear and the bag can also be carried on its side. It is quite large and can fit my Seawing Novas which, I believe, are a long fin.

There are many mesh bags out there so focus on the durability and quality of the mesh because that is the only thing protecting your expensive gear.

Matt, I have found that dive bags tend to be too large for today's baggage requirements, unless you're flying business or first class. Even then, a single heavy bag can be quite cumbersome. My dive bags (I had a Stahlsac and a USDivers, both of which held up quite well under sustained abuse and neglect) would weigh up to 70 pounds when filled with gear and clothes. I have since pared down my gear quite a bit, but I still prefer to split it between two bags. I use regular suitcases (Cosmolite) that have four wheels. If you are doing more rugged travel, you might need the option of backpack straps. Mine usually go from a taxi to a luggage counter to a cart to a taxi to a hotel, etc., and they are a pleasure to handle in the airport, which is usually the extent of my handling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom