Can you reach your tank knob to turn it on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChillyWaters:
A safety stop isn't required, it's just a precautionary measure. In the rare case you have an incident at depth, it is OK to ignore it. Chances are that you will be okay.

If you have deco obligations, then it is a deco stop, NOT a safety stop.

- ChillyWaters
I'm speechless.

But gcbryan, we've run the trimix thread into the ground, and there's no DIR controversy currently . . . What else is there to do?

TSandM:
But gcbryan, we've run the trimix thread into the ground, and there's no DIR controversy currently . . . What else is there to do?

Don't rush me...I'm thinking...I'm thinking..:wink:

Actually I've going diving in a few minutes. When I come back I hope to find a new troll inspired thread.

dherbman:
How do you feel about 30fpm? OK to blow that off, too? I'm not saying you will die, though there is a possibility of DCS. What I'm saying is that it is far better to manage the issue, rather than for it to manage you.

I'm just saying, you technically shouldn't have to do the safety stop. It's added for safety, not necessity. If you're having severe problems, by all means, by-pass the safety stop. Obviously it is encouraged to reduce the incidence of DCS, but for the 1 time in your life you're having severe difficulties, and your air supply is quickly depleting, then I'd find it hard to imagine that someone suggest you do the stop. Duh!

As for the 30fpm, obviously that should be your goal rate. But if the situation calls for 45 or 60fpm in order to survive, you do that too. Again, obviously you should have the situation under control that these don't happen. You have a buddy, right? Or a redundant air supply, right? And if you don't trust your buddy, then you should have a redundant air supply anyways -- if you're going to any significant depths.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
You still haven't answered WHY you think it's important.

- ChillyWaters
In my opinion, their are a lot of variables that can occur while under the water that can lead to disaster. Most are avoidable. Having received proper training, practicing your skills, knowing your equipment, treating it with with care and giving it proper maintenance are essential as we all know. Ideally, everyone should be able to take care of themselves in case of an incident....and for those other cases you have a buddy to aid you.
Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world....we all make mistakes and sometimes when the mistake is made such as not checking to see if your air is on at the surface, upon realizing it, the diver panics because he/she hasn't practiced reaching back to turn the air on, the buddy isn't near, and the ----hits the fan. Too many variables, and the one that could have been eliminated in this case was obvious.
Upon saying this, while I have to date checked my tank at the surface, starting Saturday I will make it a point to become proficient at this.
Bob

costi:
while I have to date checked my tan at the surface.........

Yup......important skill! Wouldn't want to get an uneven brown! :D :D :D

(Sorry....couldn't resist!)

Kim:
Yup......important skill! Wouldn't want to get an uneven brown! :D :D :D

(Sorry....couldn't resist!)
kind of runined the whole train of thought didn't it! Whoops! bob

It's interesting to see various justifications for choosing one option over another.

Kim:
Some people think that CESAs/dropping weight belts or whatever is the way to go. Some people just turn their valve back on and keep the CESAs/dropping weight belts or whatever in their back pocket for when it might be REALLY required. Each to his/her own I guess! :D

I think you've touched upon the crux of the matter. What is REALLY required is determined by prioritizing the nature of the problem(s) and corrective options available.

Scenario: Diver jumps in with single tank, valve closed or barely open. No buddy around. He finds himself at some depth, descending unable to breath any air, or less and less every breath.

Problems in order of importance:

Number one: Can't breath.

Number two: Sinking.

Required resolution in order of priority:

Number one: Gain access to air.

Number two: Stop descent.

Available corrective options:

Turn tank valve on.

This will resolve foremost priority number one, first, then, subsequently, will facilitate resolving secondary priority number two.

Drop weights.

This will resolve secondary priority number two, first, then, subsequently, will facilitate resolving foremost priority number one.

Swim up.

This will resolve secondary priority number two, first, then, subsequently, will facilitate resolving foremost priority number one.

There is also the option of using any corrective action in conjunction with another, or all at the same time. Probable expected outcomes can be derived from examples above. I'm done for now.

Your choice.

Kim:
Each to his/her own I guess! :D

Anyone want to add a different perspective?

Back
Top Bottom