Can you mount a 30 cf PB on your back next to an 80cf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you missed UP's points about the gap between the main tank and the pony tank being a perfect line trap if you use a bracket to back mount it. If you're going to carry another tank, the sensible thing to do is carry it as a sling tank. 30cf & 40cf tanks are good candidates. The 40cf tank will serve you well down the road if you should ever pursue technical diving, and certainly would have more buyers in the used market should you choose to part with it in future. I understand that in some parts of the world the rule is "no redundancy, no diving", so you're stuck having to meet the operator's definition of redundancy, which is a pony or doubles. Mine (for NDL diving) is a buddy.

I agree with Scubaroo. If you're going to do it, carry it as a sling so it is accessible and removeable. If you end up going on to decompression training, then you will already be ahead of the game. An AL40 makes a good sling bottle. The capacity, length, and boyancy make it a good choice. If you need pictures of how to rig it, PM me.

KidK9:
Ok, I guess I now realize that most people that feel like posting are against pony's. But I'm gonna use one. Yes, I have plenty of training (Divemaster) and dives to realize how to plan a dive and execute it. But the point is, I'm going to use one, and I wish someone could offer the correct set of brackets to mount this thing to an 80 or a 104. I don't plan on using it as a way to squeeze another 10 minutes out of my dive. I plan on using it IN CASE SOMETHING HAPPENS. Thank you.

Good for you for thinking for yourself. You already have a difficult skill nailed for scuba diving.

When I mounted a 30CF pony to a single alum 80 I used the Highland Mills stainless steel bands. They are about $75 as I recall but they are top notch. Double check the package to make sure the band is sized for the bottle you will use. You can use the same bands on a alum 80 or a hp steel 120 of course since they are the same diameter. This system offers one continuous band in the shape of the letter 8 with one bolt/nut in the middle that you tighten. This is the most secure rig I have seen to backmount a pony. You can lift the whole rig by the pony if you wanted to. It is very easy to switch tanks with this since you have only one bolt to loosen and swap it right over. I travel with this system as well and it's a piece of cake.

With your pony mounted upside down it is extremely easy to reach the valve. If you are using a Sherwood reg on this bottle you would have to turn the gas on before you submerge and keep it turned on due to the dry bleed system in the first stage of these regs. If you have other regs with a different first stage system you could opt to pressurize the reg on the surface, then turn it off, then of course you would need to turn it on prior to use below. If you keep it on, do a roll to your back every now and then without exhaling to see if you have bubbles flying.

You will have roll with a sling or a back mount so to correct that you offset your weight. If your bottle is on the right offset weight to your left. You don't need to add weight just shift it of course. Any additional piece of gear represents additional entanglement hazzard as you pointed out.

--Matt

Kid: I use a pony and I mount it with the ultimate pony bracket . After using this bracket for awhile I can tell you that it sucks if you have dual tank bands (like my Transpac). If you only have a single cam band it might work out for you better.

Your rig will get pulled to one side a bit since you will be unbalanced, but I put an extra two pound weight in my left side pocket to offset the pony (30 cuft) on my right. I have it mounted valve up and I keep the air on and the reg bungeed around my neck.

HTH

Cool, thanks Hex. I appreciate it.

KidK9:
So can you back mount a 30cf to an AL80 on your back instead of slinging it? If so, what brackets should I get??

I dive a 30 cu ft pony with my al 80's most of the time, and also with my Faber 95. The same 2# in the opposite pocket works just fine - the extra inch of moment arm is lost in the noise.

As far as mounts - I use a Zeagle Ranger, and there's an optional set of straps available that attach to [slide on] your main tank straps to hold the pony. The only issue is the need to use a little care in strapping the tanks to keep the whole thing aligned properly. When I'm not carrying the pony I just tuck them in a bit and they've never been a problem (no flames from the DIR crowd please).

Also being a bit paranoid I put a pressure guage with a full-lengh hose on the pony regulator instead of getting one of the little squinty things nobody can read anyway - it's just nice to know how much air really is in the tank.

Tom

hex92:
I have it mounted valve up and I keep the air on and the reg bungeed around my neck.
HTH

Do you still have two second stages coming off your back gas?

ClassAction:
Do you still have two second stages coming off your back gas?

Sorta. I have an Air2 plus my primary. I think having 2 regs on my main tank and 1 on my pony would just create a more cluttered rig. And increase the chance of breathing off the wrong one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom