can you make your own download cable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KillerJupe

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have an Oceanic Geo and would like to dl the data occasionally, but don't really care enough to pay the 100 bucks for the "official" one when i suspect its just some proprietary layout of USB pins.

Does anyone have a geo w/ the dl cable? can they describe how many pins does it connect with, are there any signs of other parts inside the watch to computer case?

next generation of comps ought to have BT built in

Check other makes of computers. I have a Tusa computer, cable was costly but found the same cable was used by Apeks and the computer is the same just different housings.

I think the Geo is 3 contacts in a row on a clip....other end is USB

I know this because when I bought my Geo 2 (3 pins in a triangular arrangement), I was sent a d/l cable for a Geo instead

So if you come up with a cable, will you need software?

yes you would need software possibly, but the software you can dl for free.

the only question would be if its just 3 pins it might still be a simple USB.

a usb has a 2 data pins and 2 power pins. if they ground the 2nd power pin somewhere else, then it could be that simple.
if not, it probably uses some serial to usb adapter where you place the watch to sync... that said, the adapter is ancient tech and costs pennies.

I think there is an ares that is the same but different colors, ill check to see :)
common ebay!

yes you would need software possibly, but the software you can dl for free.

the only question would be if its just 3 pins it might still be a simple USB.

a usb has a 2 data pins and 2 power pins. if they ground the 2nd power pin somewhere else, then it could be that simple.
if not, it probably uses some serial to usb adapter where you place the watch to sync... that said, the adapter is ancient tech and costs pennies.

I think there is an ares that is the same but different colors, ill check to see :)
common ebay!

I'm interested in doing this for my oceanic pro plus computer as well.

If someone has a multimeter and a cable, could you run a connectivity on each of the USB pins and the other end where the 3 pins connect?

I agree, I believe that one of the data pins is probably grounded resulting in only one data pin.

The geo data cable and the pro-plus data cable look to be the same. The only thing I'm worried about is that the box on the cable has some extra stuff in it. I kinda doubt it, but its posible.

I have an Oceanic Geo and would like to dl the data occasionally, but don't really care enough to pay the 100 bucks for the "official" one when i suspect its just some proprietary layout of USB pins.

Does anyone have a geo w/ the dl cable? can they describe how many pins does it connect with, are there any signs of other parts inside the watch to computer case?

next generation of comps ought to have BT built in

i dont think you can make one.. at the end where you attach to the dc is a propriatory connector. i have an aeris and opened mine and it has some chips and stuff in it. the magic cable changes from model to model.

Any traction on this? Recently picked up an Aeris Manta (I think AKA Oceanic Geo 2.0), and would like to hear if anyone successfully hacked up their own PC interface. Checked out Smartinterface link, however it seems they only support Suunto comps.
-Amw 5G

Back
Top Bottom