Can women do double tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you use up so much air? I know some folks that are just hoovers when it comes to gas consumption. How long have you been diving? Are you overweighted when you dive? etc, etc...also what size tank are you currently using?

Send me a PM and I can connect you with a gal - less than 5 foot, maybe 100 lbs! - who has joined the ranks of doubles diver this year. To my knowledge, she is not on this board. Being fresh for her, she might have some tips for you.

My only thought would be that any diver - man or woman - should be able to manage their own gear, in or out of the water. If the diver can do that, who cares about gender.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts. I will give them a shot. I dont know about being able to lift 100lbs on my back, But i will try, hopefully i can. And prove all those male ego's wrong lol.
:)

BilgeDog once bubbled...
How hard is it to do double tanks? I am a female and I would like to do double tanks, but everyone laughs at me and figures i can't do it because I am a woman.
How heavy approx. are the tanks? And be honest, do you think women are capable of doing it?
thank you
-BilgeDog

BilgeDog - When I started diving they would say the same thing about women doing single tank reef dives, heck they would say the same thing about guys whop could not do a 100 push ups with all their gear on.

I dive with several women who use double tanks and 80's as side mounted deco gas. they are not big strong women and they don't get much help from us, but they still do it.

Heck I dive with a guy who has a gimp leg, and needs to drag it behind him, plus he only weighs about 90 lbs. anytime i go to the beach to do a dive there he is with doubles and side mounted deco bottles doing shore dives.

I think women are capable of doing anything "GIRL POWER!!"
That come from my two daughters showing me they can

Viv once bubbled...
Sometimes it is hard to get the right amount of help. Either everyone is standing there watching me struggle or they appear to assume that just because I can't lift a tank that I can't hook up my regulator or do anything else.
Viv, just to explain from the XY point of view, I once got chewed out for being an MCP when I tried to help a woman, despite having just finished helping out some guy with the identical problem (backup reg trapped behind them when suiting up). I was stunned since I was merely trying to help a fellow diver.

I’ve since recovered and I’m ready if that stunt gets pulled on me again. Many guys just figure it’s not worth the trouble of helping anymore. And some guys are just jerks :).

Roak

roakey said...
Viv, just to explain from the XY point of view, I once got chewed out for being an MCP when I tried to help a woman, despite having just finished helping out some guy with the identical problem.

Sorry to hear about that, Roak, that's unfair.

I've found it is easier for everyone if I just ask for help when I need it, rather than waiting for someone to volunteer. I'm sure Roak isn't the only person who has had a bad experience with offering to help, but I've never had anyone refuse to help me when I've asked them to.

I figure if I fall over and break something, it'll spoil everyone's day. If people think I'm small and wimpy, so what? I am small. I am a wimp :wink:. But as Rick Murchison said, there are other ways to contribute... we can't all be the brawn of the boat. And even the brawny people have days when they can't get their shoulders out of their wetsuit or untangle their hoses. There can't be many divers who've never needed help from anyone.

Zept

With steel twins you can reduce the ballast on your weight belt, so your overall weight may not be that much greater. Besides the average fit 5ft female European of Celtic origin can generally carry a bigger load than a donkey and set a pace I have never been able to keep up with, especially going through a shopping mall on a lunch break.:D

That's another concern that I have - would diving steel twins result in my having too much non-ditchable weight? I only wear 20lb with my trilam/crushed neoprene drysuit and Al80 tank.

Wendy - I think I am just a hoover (or maybe a small car vac

:wink: ). I have been diving for 6 years and have 100+ dives but my air consumption has never "improved". Everyone , including my boyfriend (who is a DM) have been trying to help me figure it out. I've just decided that if I can't change my SAC I will just get more air.

If your using an 80 why not just get a steel hp 100 or 120 and not get doubles?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom