Can we take things from the ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t think I can help you, loose the Jackson and Marshall and get an Ibanez and Vox, only after that I might talk to you.

Love it! Actually I have an Ibanez Prestige RG seven string, although the neck through Jackson Soloist USA model is the better instrument. VOX? I would rather plug into a two dollar transistor radio than a freaking Vox! :)

So, do you own Ibanez and Vox gear? What models? Just an observation, but your complacency with the ruthless “killing” of trees to facilitate the production of this gear is somewhat troubling…

F88F608E-85C4-4743-A90A-BF7ACD0EA055.jpeg

15 tonnes per capita co2 per year.. CO2 Emissions per Capita - Worldometer . How about first getting your government to sign Kyoto protocol? I will look up to you if you pursue that goal instead of killing fish for fun, collecting items from the ocean, or growing your own food.
It appears you are unfamiliar with multitasking.

Want to take stuff, do what I do, take trash. I try to always bring some kind of trash back with me, sometimes my pockets are filled with fishing line and plastic bags.

Warning though, glass and aluminum cans i will often leave because a lot of times stuff is living in them.

How about first getting your government to sign Kyoto protocol?
I'll call Joe right now. If only you had asked earlier.
I will look up to you
My dream is almost fulfilled.

Long ago I stopped worrying about pleasing others. You don't like me because I am a hybrid farmer, hunter, gatherer, and consumer. I'm fine with that. I don't envy the drab life of an urbanite, disconnected from nature as they are. I'm definitely an unabashed omnivore, and that includes fresh fish. You might be satisfied with only eating that frozen cardboard crap you can buy in Publix. I'm not. I want to live. I want to taste real food. Hell, I get excited picking a fresh watermelon. I get more excited eating my sister's Frozen Watermelon Pie! Did I mention that I'm an omnivore? You be you and you can be sure that I'll be me.

Way, way, back in the 1970s, when I lived for a while in Jamaica, I was a volunteer with the Global Coral Reef Alliance's Negril Reef Preservation initiative. Negril's reefs were still spectacular then, before hotel development on a massive scale and runoff from endless road construction took their heavy toll. In the final analysis money always prevails. Fifty years ago the Jamaican government pledged that nothing would be built in Negril 'higher than the highest palm tree'. It's funny, in a sad way. I was privileged to see Caribbean reefs in their glory, but so much is forever vanished. There are places I will not visit anymore. It's too painful.

I bet you feel satisfaction getting that carrot too, the shame.
The radishes really make me happy. 21 days from seed to table. I also do sprouts. Alfalfa, Bung beans, radish, and more.

What's worse? All my cats are carnivores. They bring in lots of dead mice, voles, moles, and snakes. I really wish they would leave the snakes alone, but they just won't listen. Ma~ (pronounced Matilde) even brought in a rabbit, and I caught her stalking a bear once. They're born killers and that Tinkerbell has extra claws!

fWozwzk4fya5FfcuJOld7o9A2rEEwoWbecJ2OC9FYjHW42ogPUj-aAw6YCEkwnbW5oDqgg=w2278-h1708-no?authuser=0.jpg

Frozen Watermelon Pie​

I am a new diver. I just went on my first ocean dive post certification and while I was diving found a dead sand dollar and a Sheepshead fish jaw with teeth. I was tempted to bring them ashore but showed my husband and left them because I thought we couldn't take anything.

Mentioned this to the divemaster and boat captain later and they said the only thing off limits was coral of any kind (dead or alive) and living creatures and that I could have taken my finds for a souvenir. Is this true?

I was also on the boat with a diver that has over 500 dives under her belt and she mentioned that she had been turning stones, lifting pieces of the shipwreckage and looking under things for various creatures and finds. I was under the impression that diving was a "look and don't touch" kind of activity. Is this something that is allowed? I assumed it would disturb habitats and sealife to be jostling things around.

Just trying to learn the proper diving etiquette as I want to be a safe diver and not harm the environment but it would have been cool to have a few of those souvenirs if allowed.

Hello JB,

Think of it this way, what ever you remove, is gone forever, no one else will ever be able to see it.

Many years ago, I found a brightly colored conical shell, that I thought I couldn't live without. When I got back to the hotel, I partially filled the bathroom sink with water, and dropped the shell in to rinse. When I got back, some time later, a tiny crab had crawled out of the shell, and died in the sink, it broke my heart.

Since that time, I remove nothing!!!

Someone once said, take only memories, leave only bubbles.

LOL,

Rose

Love it! Actually I have an Ibanez Prestige RG seven string, although the neck through Jackson Soloist USA model is the better instrument. VOX? I would rather plug into a two dollar transistor radio than a freaking Vox! :)

So, do you own Ibanez and Vox gear? What models? Just an observation, but your complacency with the ruthless “killing” of trees to facilitate the production of this gear is somewhat troubling…
I used long years Marshall & Fender amps, I had tried Vox but it never clicked with me until few years ago I got a ac15. It slowly grew into me (or it could be other way around) really love the clean sounds and have RAT for distortion and it takes it really well.
In my youth I played in pubs and bars to finance my studies and I had an Ibanez artist from the 80ies, in the picture below, I guess it must be somewhere around 1991-2.
FullSizeRender.jpeg

During pandemic, I started practicing again, I always had appetite for bebop, swing era, so, I am currently playing an Ibanez GB10, George Benson signature.
IMG_3551.jpeg

I think Ibanez have some of the best fretwork. Charvels and Jacksons were quite hype at my active times but I never gotten used to the look of the headstock :). At the end rock n roll is 20% hair 20% music and 60% looks :). I do not worry about resources in a guitar, I try to buy best I can afford, they will last certainly longer than me and hopefully many others will play the instruments I owned. I do not collect them, either, I have only 1 amp, F Strat and LP standard. It is very tempting buy more but I don't.
Seems that you follow the similar philosophy, rg prestige is one of the finest instruments you can buy.

Back
Top Bottom