Can we take things from the ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why some folks cannot come to terms with that, that I cannot hold a person kills for excitement and the other doesn’t kill indifferent. I get it, the excuse is to eat it, but, hey, you do have a choice not to kill, and you will not starve. As I wrote earlier, it’s so easy not to take anything from the ocean.

LOL, the earth's ecosystem is centered upon the world's oceans. The oceans are the primary source of rainfall for all the continents (and also the primary source of oxygen and as a sink for the removal of atmospheric CO2). You are "taking" from the ocean every second you sit on your computer and spew nonsense.

In addition, any food you consume from modern agriculture has deleterious impacts on the air and water and eventually the ocean. Your basic premise is deeply flawed, I think.

My apologies. Deutsche othographie is not my strong suit. Don't you think that consuming meat obtained from someone who you have, in effect, paid to kill the creature involved, is morally the same as killing it yourself? You seem to be suggesting that if you have averted your eyes from the process you are somehow blameless, less culpable. I hate to bring up the German thing again, but the tribunals at Nurnberg and elsewhere hanged people who had not killed anyone with their own hands. They had other people do it for them.
Not everyone was sentenced to death. They were sentenced according to their active participation/role in crimes. If killing fish was crime, who would sit longest in the prison? I say the one who kills and enjoys the process.

Why some folks cannot come to terms with that, that I cannot hold a person kills for excitement and the other doesn’t kill indifferent. I get it, the excuse is to eat it, but, hey, you do have a choice not to kill, and you will not starve. As I wrote earlier, it’s so easy not to take anything from the ocean.

LOL, the earth's ecosystem is centered upon the world's oceans. The oceans are the primary source of rainfall for all the continents (and also the primary source of oxygen and as a sink for the removal of atmospheric CO2). You are "taking" from the ocean every second you sit on your computer and spew nonsense.

In addition, any food you consume from modern agriculture has deleterious impacts on the air and water and eventually the ocean. Your basic premise is deeply flawed, I think.
Meh, maybe you should read the OP. Sure everything we do has a negative impact on environment, that doesn’t justify our choices. You can always choose not kill for thrill, not touch anything, not throw garbage into the ocean, not to bring anything from wrecks. You could do something small, but instead you choose looking for excuses.

How stupid is that. They went to a historic site and took rubbish, when there’s plenty wrecks where you can find nice gear with no order on them
There are plenty stupid divers around!.

Meh, maybe you should read the OP. Sure everything we do has a negative impact on environment, that doesn’t justify our choices. You can always choose not kill for thrill, not touch anything, not throw garbage into the ocean, not to bring anything from wrecks. You could do something small, but instead you choose looking for excuses.
I like to eat nice food. When I have a chance, I will kill a fish, whether by pole and line or spear. Do I do it just for the sake of killing it? No, I do it so I can eat it. Can I go to fish market and buy it? Yes, but I do not know how fresh it is, and besides, that kind of fishing is probably more detrimental to the environment because of bycatch.
On the other hand, when I want to eat roasted lamb or pig, I butcher it myself. First, I can do it as efficiently as possible, to prevent it to suffer unnecessary, and I can use money for other purposes, like going for a dive.
You don't like it and you will look down on me? Newsflash, I do not give a **** if you look down on me. Live and let live.
To get back to the OP, I take empty shells all the time. While it is technically illegal to do so, I can see kids bringing dead shells out of water all the time and LEO not giving a single look. I will not take a live organism, unless I am going to eat it. I will also not take a souvenir from a wreck. So, just use some common sense and you should be OK.

I like to eat nice food. When I have a chance, I will kill a fish, whether by pole and line or spear. Do I do it just for the sake of killing it? No, I do it so I can eat it. Can I go to fish market and buy it? Yes, but I do not know how fresh it is, and besides, that kind of fishing is probably more detrimental to the environment because of bycatch.
On the other hand, when I want to eat roasted lamb or pig, I butcher it myself. First, I can do it as efficiently as possible, to prevent it to suffer unnecessary, and I can use money for other purposes, like going for a dive.
You don't like it and you will look down on me? Newsflash, I do not give a **** if you look down on me. Live and let live.
To get back to the OP, I take empty shells all the time. While it is technically illegal to do so, I can see kids bringing dead shells out of water all the time and LEO not giving a single look. I will not take a live organism, unless I am going to eat it. I will also not take a souvenir from a wreck. So, just use some common sense and you should be OK.
When 2.8 billion Chinese and Indians catch up with your way of living, we will all be drowning in $hip. Live and let live implies that you respect life, you also leave others including your children something back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom