Can we take things from the ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Way, way, back in the 1970s, when I lived for a while in Jamaica, ....Negril's reefs were still spectacular then, ....

1992 I went to Jamaica, stayed in Ocho Rios. Was excited to go diving and had planned on diving most of the week. First dive, the reef was trashed, look like it had been bulldozed, no fish anywhere. Spent the rest of my time snorkeling the coral wall around the hotel and drinking.

During pandemic, I started practicing again,
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??? There's perfectly good music on Amazon! I would respect you if you didn't create all that noise pollution.

I wasn't. I was genuinely looking for some answers and seemed to have opened a gate to a whole lot more
Welcome to ScubaBoard. You can find answers to all your Scuba questions here and even a few you didn't even think to ask! :D :D :D

As there have been no responses to the thread since the OP...

I was not trying to start a war. I didn't know this was so controversial, nor did I realize the laws varied by type of dive, location, etc. I mainly assumed ocean was ocean and same laws apply whether it's a reef, a sand bar, a shipwreck, or whatever else.

I was simply asking can you take non-living and non-coral items as long as you do not have to damage any surrounding structures or beings to do so. I seem to have gotten my answer and a whole lot more.

I never considered you could take invasive living creatures just because they are invasive. I assumed all ocean hunting/spearing/fishing even for just one crab, flounder, lobster, whatever required a fishing license and was not governed by diving laws but rather local fishing laws.

I guess I didn't realize the rules were so based around morality and was looking for a more concrete, cut and dry answer regarding taking anything from the ocean. I wasn't really looking for personal opinions on how good or bad they believe something to be but rather was looking for "the laws are this" Which I now see vary incredibly by location

I would really like you to explain it to me how me killing a fish is different from you paying someone else to kill a fish. Fish is dead either way. What's the difference?
If you get joy out of it it is wrong! Ucarkus has been saying that clearly.

I seem to have gotten my answer and a whole lot more.
We made you think? My job is done here! :D :D :D

I used long years Marshall & Fender amps, I had tried Vox but it never clicked with me until few years ago I got a ac15. It slowly grew into me (or it could be other way around) really love the clean sounds and have RAT for distortion and it takes it really well.
In my youth I played in pubs and bars to finance my studies and I had an Ibanez artist from the 80ies, in the picture below, I guess it must be somewhere around 1991-2.
View attachment 672511

During pandemic, I started practicing again, I always had appetite for bebop, swing era, so, I am currently playing an Ibanez GB10, George Benson signature.
View attachment 672513

I think Ibanez have some of the best fretwork. Charvels and Jacksons were quite hype at my active times but I never gotten used to the look of the headstock :). At the end rock n roll is 20% hair 20% music and 60% looks :). I do not worry about resources in a guitar, I try to buy best I can afford, they will last certainly longer than me and hopefully many others will play the instruments I owned. I do not collect them, either, I have only 1 amp, F Strat and LP standard. It is very tempting buy more but I don't.
Seems that you follow the similar philosophy, rg prestige is one of the finest instruments you can buy.

Agreed. The Jackson headstock, shark fin inlays and bound neck are not only dated, they are truly hideous. However, the compound radius neck, (new) massive stainless steel frets and modified electronics has resulted in the best playing and most versatile guitar I have ever owned. I reluctantly ditched tube heads over 30 years ago for digital and solid state rack gear. Sacrilege I know, but I can consistently reproduce hundreds of foot-switchable sounds at any volume level without having to replace blown tubes or eardrums.

You have a really nice selection of guitars for a wide spectrum of sounds. Bebop? You must be familiar with Mike Stern. The Upside Downside disc is still one of my favorites after 35 years. By the way, I think you are mistaken. Pretty sure that first picture is of Geddy Lee! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom