Can we identify this tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Graeme Tolton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The guy selling it says that it is steel. All I know is what is in the pic. Does anyone recognize this tank? Seller is not giving any details other than steel tank that needs hydro... price is right.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 32828ke_20.jpeg
    32828ke_20.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 124
I do not recognize that tank, I've never seen it before.

Why what did it do?

Without the numbers on the neck it is impossible to tell what it is.

That said, from the form of the neck and the general size, I would guess that is a standard run of the mill AL80.

AL80s have square bottoms, steel tanks have round bottoms.

Do you have a pic of the bottom of the tank?

Never seen a steel painted any color except white or black. Often they are galvanized. I would guess it s an aluminum 80 or 100. I'd go further to guess it is a Luxfer by the shape of the neck. If the price is 50 bucks or so, then the price is right. I would NEVER buy a cylinder without knowing the born on date, the manufacturer and alloy, and a guarantee it will pass hydro and vis. Buyer beware a seller that won't make a full disclosure. I wouldn't walk away, I'd run. YMMV. Good Luck.

Frank

I was sorta thinking al80 as well from the pic... but the ad says steel, so i gave it the benefit of the doubt.. when i look at it tomorrow, ill know for sure... im not all that concerned... the deal is for a complete set - bcd, wetsuit, regs, tank, bag... most of which i will be re-selling. even a scrap al80 is worth about $20! The pic above is the only one that i currently have. If i had seen a square bottom, i wouldn't have mode the post.

prob from recycling it for the alum

AL80s have square bottoms, steel tanks have round bottoms.

Do you have a pic of the bottom of the tank?

I agree, looks like an AL tank but there were a rare few square bottom ....well not exactly square like an AL but still they will set without a boot and look square while setting..... steels in years gone past. I have 2 of them.

I agree, looks like an AL tank but there were a rare few square bottom ....well not exactly square like an AL but still they will set without a boot and look square while setting..... steels in years gone past. I have 2 of them.

Yes, "sort of" flat bottom steels are not uncommon, Heiser, for one, made them quite often in years gone by...........but that cylinder do'snt look like a steel to me, I would also say by the neck shape its an alu 100, probably Luxfer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom