Can this Old scuba tank be hydro tested any more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mukluk

New
Reaction score
Can this tank be fill anymore? I'm just wondering if it can. I know it would need hydro checked first but I'm not sure about the Aluminum alloy and being one of the tanks that cant be filled.
Thank you
Steve

IMG_6484.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0556.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

See if a MOD can move this to the Tanks sub forum. You might get a better response there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taking 5 years off that re-qualification stamp puts us in 1986 - can't see the original date from your pictures. The era of "bad alloy". There are testing ways, but most (okay, practically all) shops just don't want to go through the hassle. You have a few options, sell it for scrap, or turn it into something (wind chime, lamp, etc.). Sorry.

It can be hydrotested. It is made of the 6351-T6 alloy so it will need a Visual Eddy test in concurrence with the Hydro. If it passes both, the DOT says it may be filled and returned to service.

Pretty sure that based on exemption number 6498 seen in the first picture it's 6351-T6 alloy. Technically, if you can find a place willing to test it and it passes it can be filled, but depending on where you live some/many shops will refuse to fill it. It's very YMMV, I have several 30 year old AL-80s that I've never had issues getting filled based on age, even when traveling with them, but they are 6061-T6 Alloy.

The cost of additional testing and the added frustration of some shops not wanting to fill it makes it not worth it as you can easily buy a used in hydro AL-80 for around $100. Sell it for scrap or repurpose it. I've seen a lot of tanks made into lamps, ashtrays, door stops, bird houses, etc.

It can be hydrotested. It is made of the 6351-T6 alloy so it will need a Visual Eddy test in concurrence with the Hydro. If it passes both, the DOT says it may be filled and returned to service.

1+.

I have a near identical USD AL 80, with the "bad" alloy. I dive it all the time, and will continue to do so as long as it passes Hydro and Visual Eddy.

The big question is to find out if your LDS will fill it if it has a current hydro... as already mentioned, some will not.

Best wishes.

Our local Hydo shop will test them no problem at all.

As stated the bigger issue is making sure the shop(s) you plan on using will fill them.

Before you get it hydro-tested, find out if your shop will fill it. I have twin 50's from 1974 that passed hydro and a shop that will fill them. If your shop will fill it, they should be able to get it tested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom