Can someone recommend a good dive operator in Ambergris Caye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't say that Ambergris Divers and AquaDives are the most recommended. The "IBM" of dive centers here in San Pedro is Amigos del Mar, and there are lots of other good ones. Most people have preferences to be sure, but I don't think you'll find any operator here who doesn't run a safe and enjoyable operation. IMO where you are staying can influence your choice, as many people prefer to be able to walk to the dive center, and get back to their roomd between dives.

The Sunbreeze/AquaDives combination offers that. They are separate businesses though, and I can only think of two operations where hotel and dive center are colocated and under common ownership - Ramon's Village (to the south of town, mid-upper range prices) and Patojo's/The Tides (a bit north of town in the oldest area of San Pedro, and they offer very good value packages). Anything you do at the dive center at either of these is simply added to your room bill, which is very convenient.

There are lots of other dive operators close to hotels, but not colocated and not integrated. When I ran my dive center at the Belize Yacht Club we did our best to make it seamlessly integrated.

I am also traveling to AC June 27-Jul4. We've booked the airfare, but haven't decided on a hotel/dive shop. We were considering going with Bay Adventures (Sunbreeze Beach Hotel/Aqua Dives Belize package). Is this a reputable place to stay and dive?
Thanks,
Natalie

I was happy with both the hotel and the dive shop when I was in Belize. I didn't dive from the hotel as we were chartering a sailboat for a week, but I stayed there one night and did some dives with Aqua Dives. The hotel is probably within 100 ft of the dock so its really easy to move gear for your dives. We only did dives on the reef with Aqua Dives but it was great because there are so many sites within 20 minutes or so. We went out to Turneffe Atoll with Frenchies diving on Caye Caulker which had some nice wall dives that were different from the reef near AC.

Ps.

The other great thing about the Sunbreeze is that it is directly across the street from the airport so you don't need to get a taxi or walk at all to get there.

Have fun on your trip its a great place to be on vacation.

I wouldn't say that Ambergris Divers and AquaDives are the most recommended. The "IBM" of dive centers here in San Pedro is Amigos del Mar, and there are lots of other good ones. Most people have preferences to be sure, but I don't think you'll find any operator here who doesn't run a safe and enjoyable operation. IMO where you are staying can influence your choice, as many people prefer to be able to walk to the dive center, and get back to their roomd between dives.

The Sunbreeze/AquaDives combination offers that. They are separate businesses though, and I can only think of two operations where hotel and dive center are colocated and under common ownership - Ramon's Village (to the south of town, mid-upper range prices) and Patojo's/The Tides (a bit north of town in the oldest area of San Pedro, and they offer very good value packages). Anything you do at the dive center at either of these is simply added to your room bill, which is very convenient.

There are lots of other dive operators close to hotels, but not colocated and not integrated. When I ran my dive center at the Belize Yacht Club we did our best to make it seamlessly integrated.

good point about proximity - which shops are closest to the Xanadu? I'd to find a shop that will take just my family group for a few dives, as we will be new, and inexperienced.

The closest is still rather a walk away, so that probably won't help. A bit to the south at Banyan Bay is Bottom Time, a long established business that keeps quite a low profile. Actually I need to check that they're still operating there, as there have been corporate difficulties at their host hotel. The dive operator does have another location in town.

Maybe a bit further away to the north is Belize Diving Adventures, a husband and wife operation that has some very dedicated followers. One of the few local operations run by a PADI Staff Instructor.

Routinely you'd probably want either of these to pick you up by boat, which means that all others in the area compete on an equal footing. Do you want a list of those, or do you have it already?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom