can someone name a computer for me with those features?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for the reply :)
yeah i was thinking about getting the luna with the heart minotoring thing. but i was wondering if the price range will be a lot or not, if its not , then i might just get the sol. how much is it to add the heart monitoring feature seperately?

the heart rate is an information to add some minutes of deco stops if detected.
you can also decide yourself to add these minutes if you think the dive was a little bit harder than expected. and save mony for diving.

the trimix upgrade has been promised since 3 years, and is only in beta testing since a couple of months.
no information available to compare with other trimix computers
maybe in 2 or 3 years :cool2:

FWIW DuboisP, I don't know what to make of it but I did read the other day on here from someone that the trimix upgrade for the Sol and Luna is actually ready and done beta testing. I'm not sure if that's accurate or not so it may not be ready. Just thought I would pass it along.

Again, I do not have either the Sol or Luna, but from what people say, and what I have read, they are really good computers. I think for the money, the Sol is a really good bet. It does everything you need and want, and if you do go a little further the advanced gas mix option will be available, hopefully lol.

And no argument MeanGuy - we all love one another here. Sometimes we agree to disagree :)

Everyone means well and personally I don't think anyone really meant to upset anyone else. Sometimes people get a little emotional and get snarky - myself included. That's why I made an apology and moved on. No hard feelings.

thanks, i'll check out the retailers, from most of the "google" everyone is choosing sol over luna , i guess i'll go for it as well =)

thanks peeps i appreciate your help

Personally I would not worry about the heart rate monitor. Most people I know that have them stop using them after about 30 dives purely because they can not be bothered to put it on.
Other than that, the Luna and SOL are almost identical. I now use mine on gauge mode most of the time but the the normal mode is really impressive and then of coarse you have the most fantastic compass.

But you need to work out what you need it for and what you expect from a computer. Someone already posted an online computer selection site which works well.

thanks, i'll check out the retailers, from most of the "google" everyone is choosing sol over luna , i guess i'll go for it as well =)
the luna is a sol without 2 options you can purchase later, but i don't know the price

@usvet96 : the trimix upgrade calendar for galileo is a joke in the trimix communauty. some purchased the galileo and are waiting this upgrade since 3 years.
3 years to implement the algorithm, maybe 3 years to validate it. :D
some trimix algorithms are well known, and 3 years to implement and test prove a lack of interest from the maker.
in any case, trimix divers know the "good" computers to purchase

Hiya, MeanGuy! :wavey:

I'm no diving expert, but I do / did an extensive amount of research in looking for a computer. I'm also a computer / electronics engineer with a healthy respect and distrust for a life support system.

I went Uwatec, now ScubaPro Uwatec, because in 2002 I was able to actually talk to an engineer about things important to me, like Mean Time Between Failures and whether it would fail-safe.

Since then, we now own seven Uwatecs, from the Aladin Pro Ultra up through the Galileo Sol. I have received absolutely excellent service from ScubaPro.

Example - my husband's Uwatec TEC stopped transmitting infared. It was OUT of warrenty. I sent it back asking for a repair. I received a BRAND NEW TEC 2G (2nd Gen) . . . NO charge.

I pulled a bonehead when changing batteries in a transmitter (on site, bad tools), and flooded the transmitter. I sent it back with a sad face, asking if they could repair it. They sent me a refurbished one for half the price of a new one.

Four years later, the refurbished one started losing / catching signal, and got weaker and weaker in spite of battery changes. I sent it back, expecting a repair cost. Replaced with a Brand new one, cost = ZERO!

In Bonaire, I loaned my original Aladin Pro Ultra to someone whose computer quit. On the last dive, it quit on him. Sent it back to Uwatec --ZERO cost and a brand new battery.

You'll never wonder about the accuracy of a Uwatec - it either works, or it fails. No "went diving without me" or "is this timing right?" It works, or it fails - SAFE. No guessing.

I loves my Uwatecs!!! I strongly recommend buying used . . . a lot of computer for less.

HOWEVER - stay away from the Uwatec "Air" series. Air Z, Air Nitrox. Bad designs, and no longer supported.

Yes, I'm biased - and have seven Uwatecs to prove it! :D

In what ways were the Air Z and Air Nitrox bad designs? Not sure what model you mean by the Air Nitrox, as I have or have had the Air X Nitrox and Air Z Nitrox and both performed flawlessly for me for years. The only real issue I had was with the Memo Mouse, but that did not affect the computers operation. Last year I sent both of them in with their sensors for new batteries. ScubaPro said the Air X Nitrox was not serviceable and offered me 40% off a Sol, which I accepted and now own a Sol and Air Z Nitrox. For the latter, they not only didn't charge me for the battery change they replaced the sensor with a brand new user serviceable unit. Did they stop supporting the Air Z Nitrox in the last year since I had mine serviced?

If I were in the market for a used SP computer, I too would pass on the older models, not because they are unreliable but because the SOL and Luna are much better.

Luna would be my choice.. Though Dema is coming up soon-- so might be a good time to wait and see what the new batch of computers that are coming out.... But if i had to get something RIGHT now.. Id go luna--- medium conservancy--big screen-- multiple screen layouts-- can go wireless AI-- easy to navigate and great scuba pro/uwatc warranty.. Another computer i would go is the oceanic vt4.. Has the dual algorithm (which i personally think is a good thing.. If your on a one day dive with just a few tanks-- go with a bit less conservative algo--- if on a multi day dive boat with lots of dives or a bit more tech dives-- id go a bit more conservative)-- and it wireless AI and a easy to navigate menu system...

But like i said-- now might be a good time to wait and see what is going to come out.. Personally id like a oled large screen--- wireless ai-- easy to navigate menu-- not tooo conservative algorithm computer-- once someone comes out with that-- im in ..

In what ways were the Air Z and Air Nitrox bad designs? Not sure what model you mean by the Air Nitrox, as I have or have had the Air X Nitrox and Air Z Nitrox and both performed flawlessly for me for years. The only real issue I had was with the Memo Mouse, but that did not affect the computers operation. Last year I sent both of them in with their sensors for new batteries. ScubaPro said the Air X Nitrox was not serviceable and offered me 40% off a Sol, which I accepted and now own a Sol and Air Z Nitrox. For the latter, they not only didn't charge me for the battery change they replaced the sensor with a brand new user serviceable unit. Did they stop supporting the Air Z Nitrox in the last year since I had mine serviced?

If I were in the market for a used SP computer, I too would pass on the older models, not because they are unreliable but because the SOL and Luna are much better.

The Air series "seems to always" end up with a replacement computer for less . . . you'll find their are not many out there.

Some years back, there was some hubalu over Uwatec's computers when they were used at the 'edges' of deco - I cannot find the whole story, I believe it was sealed by the court. They may have been part of that. :idk: All I know is what I've heard from 3 ex-air owners that now proudly support Smart Zs or Smart Tecs or TEC 2Gs.

Luna versus Sol

These are basically the same computer. The Sol comes with all features available.

The Luna comes with basic features, and as your skills grow, you can purchase unlock codes for the advanced features. Allows you to spread the pain of the cost over a few years. :wink:

Trimix -- We're all waiting with bated breath for the final release. It is no surprise that Uwatec is taking so long, as the Swiss are very precision oriented, but release it, already!!!

AFAIK, it was released to trimix instructors only. :( Should give it to some of us geekaholics to measure old non-trimix performance against the new software.

i know i wont ever bother use it for trimix , but who knows that the future hides =)

just when i was about to go to buy a new sol , a friend of mine called me up , he said he's got a mares icon hd for 500 bucks for sale, only been used for 15 dives , he'll show me some pictures of it and to be honest, i think i'll get it as long as there is nothing wrong with it.

if i want to get it integrated , where should i send it to ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom