can someone name a computer for me with those features?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thank you for explaining that profiles issue , it sure made a lot of sense ,im still thinking about getting Mares Icon HD , although i dont know if i can find an air integrated one, i mean, i've read a lot of people are sending it back to get it upgraded , but can't i just buy an upgraded one? ..

i'll still have to read about the "cons" of it , although i cant find anything wrong with it so far =)

I'm not sure if you are looking for a console or a wrist or either, but if you are considering consoles, your list seems like what we were aiming for with the the Atomic Cobalt: Cobalt Guide: Home , particularly the detailed logs, easy to use interface, and clear screen.

Ron - that's a GREAT computer.

Mean - I would encourage you checking the Cobalt out. It's a TON of high tech computer wizardry in a dive computer package lol.

And yes, if you are set on a Mares HD you can get the AI now, I believe for $1695 plus tax plus shipping. To me that's ALOT of coin but if you want it then get it.

I would still do some more research though to be sure - thats just me though

The MAIN thing for you to be aware of concerning the algorithms is again what type of diving you will be doing because it can play a huge part. If you are doing repetitive diving you will NOT want a Suunto or Mares because it will punish you on time for these types of Rec dives. There are countless threads here where guys on days 2 and 3 (doing 2/3 dives a day) on live a board vacations are having to sit in the boat because their computer will not let them dive (here that ALOT with Suunto computers).
that's probably the reason why i was diving 3 or 4 times a day during one week in Egypt with my Suunto :D

the algorithm in Suunto is Spencer + some RGBM, not a pure RGBM

Once again, dual algorithms, in recreational computers, are nothing but a marketing ploy.

As the Oceanic (DSAT) isn't as liberal as the Suunto (RGBM?), it's very easy to be more liberal if you want to. No need for another more liberal algo.

The Oceanic dual algo's are DSAT & Buhlmann based, RGBM isn't one of them.

As Buhlmann doesn't penalise you for multi dive, multi day diving it will very quickly be out of step with the Suunto RGBM implementation also.

No, it's not usual for technical divers to use vanilla Buhlmann or any other bend & mend algorithm. More often than not they use a fully iterative dual phase algo such as VPM-B, or Buhlmann with gradient factors set up to give a similar deco curve.

Suunto's use RGBM. Mares uses either RGBM or Buhlmann. As Buhlmann is in the public domain, many OEM's use it, or a modified version of it, eg. the Galileo computers.

PS. There's a difference in knowing about the marketing blurb, & knowing about the algorithm's, their modifications & the beast place to use each

PPS. Many of the modifications made to the algo for the Sol etc., are also nothing more than a marketing ploy. :coffee:

that's probably the reason why i was diving 3 or 4 times a day during one week in Egypt with my Suunto :D

the algorithm in Suunto is Spencer + some RGBM, not a pure RGBM

:idk: Even a broken watch is right twice a day :D

I'm not going to argue with you what did or didn't do, or what your Suunto can or can't do. It's a known fact that the RGBM algorithm, or even a modified RGBM, that Suunto uses is ALOT more conservative than the DSAT algoritm that many others use, and will penalize you accordingly. Primarily DSAT is preferred, and used, when performing multiple, repetitive rec dives because of the liberal profiles the algorithm allows. Does this make it BETTER than a more conservative Suunto - absolutely NOT. Like I said, all a matter of preference. You can also make the Suunto computers, some of them, more liberal in their settings and get more time from them.

Suunto allows on some models the availability to tune the attenuation settings, as well as adjust the personal factors to manage the dive. But because they factor in the micro bubbles that DSAT does not, no matter how much you tweak the computer it is still going to be different - not better and not worse - just different because it gauges variables according to their models.

I personally don't dive my Suunto any longer. Yes, I could do the repetitive dives like you state, but the times were so minimal that it was extremely inconvenient for me.

There are different computers that do different things because the divers that wear them are just as varied in their demands.

If your Suunto can handle your diving style and needs, you enjoy diving it, it can keep up with you, and it keeps you safe, then by all means dive it and enjoy it.

Mine couldn't; so I either had to stop diving or get a new computer ..... Guess which choice I went with :D

And PS .... Just because you CAN do something, that doesn't always mean it's a good idea TO do it.

Thank you guys for the reply, yes it is a bit expensive with the a.i. , guess ill consider another option, the cobelt does seem like an eye candy for sure, but I'm looking for wrist computer,
Or maybe ill save up more to get mares icon with trsnsmitor , some ppl told me it has sensor problem, buti I can't confirm that

And PS .... Just because you CAN do something, that doesn't always mean it's a good idea TO do it.

There are countless threads here where guys on days 2 and 3 (doing 2/3 dives a day) on live a board vacations are having to sit in the boat because their computer will not let them dive (here that ALOT with Suunto computers).

Yes, I could do the repetitive dives like you state, but the times were so minimal that it was extremely inconvenient for me
in this case, don't say the computer is the culprit.
the computer is a tool, it doesn't replace my brain, my training and my experience.

my Suunto is always at nominal settings, P0/A0.
RGBM settings can be 100%, or 50%, deep stops can be ON or OFF
Only the Helo2 can be set at P-1 or P-2.

To my knowledge, only Oceanic computers implement DSAT algorithm, and Oceanic computers are not selled a lot in Europa.
We see mainly Suunto, UWatek, Cressi and Mares.
A sense of algorithm - Divernet
http://www.dsiwdeep.com/pdf_files/q_dual_algo.pdf

What do you mean by 'so minimal' ?
115 ft 22min bottom time, 36min surface followed 3 hours later by 120ft 24min bottom time, 54min surface, then 40ft 46min surface 5h30 later is not enough ?

Ron - that's a GREAT computer.

Mean - I would encourage you checking the Cobalt out. It's a TON of high tech computer wizardry in a dive computer package lol.

And yes, if you are set on a Mares HD you can get the AI now, I believe for $1695 plus tax plus shipping. To me that's ALOT of coin but if you want it then get it.

I would still do some more research though to be sure - thats just me though

Where is the AI version of the Icon available?

Found it:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/sear...t=97&imgGo=&txtCatName=2&PageSize=24&sortBy=3

Thanks for the link, after seeing the price im debating between galileo sol and this one, if most of the reviews are good about galileo, I might go for it
Thank you guys for clearing things for me and helping me out

So these people that have recomended you buy a D series computer after hearing you want something with a big screen must, as someone already mentioned, be diving a Suunto.
The Mares Icon HD is great but carry a few sets of batteries as they only last a few dives before needing charging.
Big screens don't come much better than the SOL or Luna.

Back
Top Bottom