can someone name a computer for me with those features?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Notice the difference in the numbers between the different algorithms and the manufacturers using those algorithms in their computers.

It is common in Rec diving to use a DSAT (again preference) because you get more bottom time when diving repetitive shallow type dives.

It is common in Tech (I believe, but I could be mistaken - I don't dive Tech) that a Pelagic Z+ or Buhlman (SP. ?) algorithm is preferred because it allows for deeper amd deco dives.

The MAIN thing for you to be aware of concerning the algorithms is again what type of diving you will be doing because it can play a huge part. If you are doing repetitive diving you will NOT want a Suunto or Mares because it will punish you on time for these types of Rec dives. There are countless threads here where guys on days 2 and 3 (doing 2/3 dives a day) on live a board vacations are having to sit in the boat because their computer will not let them dive (here that ALOT with Suunto computers).

Like I said, you can make a Suunto MORE liberal, but not so much that the profile and times will match a DSAT profile.

Is Suunto a bad computer for that? Not in ANY way. Suunto makes a GREAT computer and are world renown for their quality. There is NOTHING wrong with a Suunto dive computer. It is ALL preference and what works BEST for YOU and your needs.

Some divers like more liberal computers, some like more conservative computers, and some like the ability to adjust their computers as needed based on diving partners.

That's why they make all 3 versions - different strokes for different folks :)

US Vet - on what do you base your statements? You state you don't have the experience, but . . . where'd it come from?

Hiya, MeanGuy! :wavey:

I'm no diving expert, but I do / did an extensive amount of research in looking for a computer. I'm also a computer / electronics engineer with a healthy respect and distrust for a life support system.

I went Uwatec, now ScubaPro Uwatec, because in 2002 I was able to actually talk to an engineer about things important to me, like Mean Time Between Failures and whether it would fail-safe.

Since then, we now own seven Uwatecs, from the Aladin Pro Ultra up through the Galileo Sol. I have received absolutely excellent service from ScubaPro.

Example - my husband's Uwatec TEC stopped transmitting infared. It was OUT of warrenty. I sent it back asking for a repair. I received a BRAND NEW TEC 2G (2nd Gen) . . . NO charge.

I pulled a bonehead when changing batteries in a transmitter (on site, bad tools), and flooded the transmitter. I sent it back with a sad face, asking if they could repair it. They sent me a refurbished one for half the price of a new one.

Four years later, the refurbished one started losing / catching signal, and got weaker and weaker in spite of battery changes. I sent it back, expecting a repair cost. Replaced with a Brand new one, cost = ZERO!

In Bonaire, I loaned my original Aladin Pro Ultra to someone whose computer quit. On the last dive, it quit on him. Sent it back to Uwatec --ZERO cost and a brand new battery.

You'll never wonder about the accuracy of a Uwatec - it either works, or it fails. No "went diving without me" or "is this timing right?" It works, or it fails - SAFE. No guessing.

I loves my Uwatecs!!! I strongly recommend buying used . . . a lot of computer for less.

HOWEVER - stay away from the Uwatec "Air" series. Air Z, Air Nitrox. Bad designs, and no longer supported.

Yes, I'm biased - and have seven Uwatecs to prove it! :D

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 122
Jax - what I stated concerning the algorithms is based on research, reading I have done, diving, and speaking with instructors, reps, and shops, regarding Rec diving. I don't know a thing about Tech other than what I research as well, as I surely don't dive tech, so that's all I can go by. Also in speaking with a lot of Tech divers. Most of the tech divers I know actually use V-Planner and tables. Some that use a computer use a Shearwater, which I think uses a modified Bulhmann.

But I don't really KNOW any of that for sure. :idk:

The DSAT algorithm has always been more liberal in it's offerings than an RGBM model. This is widely known and published.

All ANY of us can for sure is what we read when doing research. Most of that research comes from online sources and other divers first hand experience. If that info is wrong then so is my info. After reading the research on the subject and measuring it's accuracy against other sources of info about the same subject, at some point I am going to feel comfortable in passing along what I have learned.

If any of what I have said so far concerning the different algorithms is "wrong" please point pit my discrepancies so I change my way of thinking.

The gentleman wanted to know about the different computers so I told him what I thought. My opinion. And anything I didn't know I for sure I said I didn't. I also said that neither will make him safer or a better diver, diving more will.

And finally it all comes down to personal preference and what type of diving he will be doing, as the different computers are designed for different people doing different types of diving.

Again, if this is wrong, show me, and stop questioning me.

Thanks

Yo, chill there, bro! :dork2:

When someone makes absolute statements, I like to know where they come from.

That I don't agree, now that's a different matter. :D

Hiya, MeanGuy! :wavey:

I'm no diving expert, but I do / did an extensive amount of research in looking for a computer. I'm also a computer / electronics engineer with a healthy respect and distrust for a life support system.

I went Uwatec, now ScubaPro Uwatec, because in 2002 I was able to actually talk to an engineer about things important to me, like Mean Time Between Failures and whether it would fail-safe.

Since then, we now own seven Uwatecs, from the Aladin Pro Ultra up through the Galileo Sol. I have received absolutely excellent service from ScubaPro.

Example - my husband's Uwatec TEC stopped transmitting infared. It was OUT of warrenty. I sent it back asking for a repair. I received a BRAND NEW TEC 2G (2nd Gen) . . . NO charge.

I pulled a bonehead when changing batteries in a transmitter (on site, bad tools), and flooded the transmitter. I sent it back with a sad face, asking if they could repair it. They sent me a refurbished one for half the price of a new one.

Four years later, the refurbished one started losing / catching signal, and got weaker and weaker in spite of battery changes. I sent it back, expecting a repair cost. Replaced with a Brand new one, cost = ZERO!

In Bonaire, I loaned my original Aladin Pro Ultra to someone whose computer quit. On the last dive, it quit on him. Sent it back to Uwatec --ZERO cost and a brand new battery.

You'll never wonder about the accuracy of a Uwatec - it either works, or it fails. No "went diving without me" or "is this timing right?" It works, or it fails - SAFE. No guessing.

I loves my Uwatecs!!! I strongly recommend buying used . . . a lot of computer for less.

HOWEVER - stay away from the Uwatec "Air" series. Air Z, Air Nitrox. Bad designs, and no longer supported.

Yes, I'm biased - and have seven Uwatecs to prove it! :D

That's a fine example of why you love your Uwatec and that's great. I think they are good computers, except the X and Z models :)

But I didn't want to offer a personal bias about a certain computer. I merely wanted to offer some advice of what to look for when computer shopping.

You criticize my opinions, which are based on personal research done, and offer nothing in rebuttal but a personal opinion based on why you like it - not very countering to what I stated.

I'm just saying if you are going to dispute something offer a solution next time.

Thank you for the read though, because now I have some more info from a 1st hand source on Uwatec computers to use in the future :)

Yo, chill there, bro! :dork2:

When someone makes absolute statements, I like to know where they come from.

That I don't agree, now that's a different matter. :D

Well there Bro, the statements I made clearly are not from random thoughts. I offered multiple links to prove the data that I was offering and different sites for the sources.

I'm going to react when you challenge me so if you don't want an argument next time don't challenge someone on something unless you know they are wrong. You challenge the validity of what I'm offering yet offer no solid alternative in rebuttal - come on.

In doing MY research on computers that was what I found so I offered it to him that's all.

I'm not going to ruin this gemtlemans thred anymore.

I have alredy said more than I should have and know better. My mistake :idk:

MeanGuy - just do your homework bud. Different computers do different things for a reason. Check them all out thoroughly before you decide on something. Check out the links I have posted, and the sites I have mentioned, as well as the other info from the other posters, and you will be fine.

To anyone that has had their feelings hurt I humbly apologize :)

:popcorn:

hehehe, surely your argument thing was cute =) -.- i had to spend few minutes reading that and was like "what happened to my galileo post" :p casting that aside, i appreciate all comments, and all advice =) you people are trying to help and for that im thankful. we have a saying in my country, bah, nvm , its too hard to translate it, anyways, it just means that people with experience do matter .. jax =) even though your review was really tempting and i love it, and so far you're the 5th person who recommended scubapro product. oh you got 7? send me one for my birthday? :p
about getting a used one, nah, i have weird habit , i never buy used electroinics or cars >.> unless i fully know the seller 100% , not to mention, since i dont live in the states, it'll be a hassle to send it back to scubapro to have it replaced if u know what i mean , on the other hand. i heard there is a shop that sells galileo sol. so i'll be looking forward to drop by and compare prices between the local store and online =) might do it tomorrow.

is there any other good computers that i should look at , ones with big screens like these two?
again, dont argue , please =)
jax, stop eating that popcorn alone -.- share the wealth and send me a computer for my birthday, better be a working one :p

---edit---

well, after a long search i think i decided its one of the 2, sol or luna, but im wondering, the heart rate is nice would the price difference be significant ? im not into technical diving so , doubt i'd wanna go for 3 gas mix upgrade. what do you guys think?

i can afford both though

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
well, after a long search i think i decided its one of the 2, sol or luna, but im wondering, the heart rate is nice would the price difference be significant ? im not into technical diving so , doubt i'd wanna go for 3 gas mix upgrade. what do you guys think?
the heart rate is an information to add some minutes of deco stops if detected.
you can also decide yourself to add these minutes if you think the dive was a little bit harder than expected. and save mony for diving.

the trimix upgrade has been promised since 3 years, and is only in beta testing since a couple of months.
no information available to compare with other trimix computers
maybe in 2 or 3 years :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom