Can someone explain regs to me, in laymans terms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regulators? They're like kitchen water faucets, but for air. About as complex too.
just buy a nice mid-range reg your Lds can service and you'll be fine

The Annual service requirement is foolish. Its about use not time. So if you diving 20 times a year you service should be every 100 dives or 5 years as orings do wear with age. If your diving 300 dives a year the you will need multiple services per year. It does not hurt to get it serviced but its expensive and not necessary unless your doing 100+ dives a year.

Regulators? They're like kitchen water faucets, but for air. About as complex too.
just buy a nice mid-range reg your Lds can service and you'll be fine

That might depend on what kind of kitchen faucet you have....but in general I don't find regulators difficult to work on. And hopefully you'll NEVER find a hairball or chicken bone in your regulator! You just need to be organized and meticulous. I also agree wholeheartedly that any mid-range, or even entry level, regulator will work just fine for recreational diving. The only point about this statement that might be contentious IMO is finding the LDS that's decent with service. Again, deciding to service my own regs is the best scuba decision I've made and I highly encourage anyone else interested to do the same.

---------- Post added ----------

The Annual service requirement is foolish. Its about use not time. So if you diving 20 times a year you service should be every 100 dives or 5 years as orings do wear with age. If your diving 300 dives a year the you will need multiple services per year. It does not hurt to get it serviced but its expensive and not necessary unless your doing 100+ dives a year.

I totally agree, although I suspect the actual number of dives varies from reg to reg, with the quality of service, and care with which the reg is cleaned and stored between use.

If DIY is the goal, I'd say go straight to the top and buy those outrageous high end regs, used, for about the same money as the entry level stuff.

Outside of the US, I don't think getting parts for the big guys is a major headache. And if you run into any kind of problem, just post in the DIY section and there'll be plenty of people to help you out. And you can find on the Internet nearly every maintenance manual for every Aqualung or Scubapro ever produced.

The best deal I have seen in a while on regulators is this: Dive Rite RG2500 1st and 2nd Stage regulator [rg2500] - $199.99 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

The shop has a great reputation on SB, and Diverite does sell parts. However, I have never used Diverite regs so I cannot attest to them personally.

I had regulators start to develop creep and minor free flows after about three years in storage. I also a regulator that functioned perfectly after 20 years in storage. Ron is correct that there is no magical meaning to a 1 year or a 2 year service requirement, however I would recommend that you inspect your regulators regularly if you decide to use a extended rebuild period. I recommend reading Couv's sticky on the top of the regulator forum.

The Harlow book has an excellent section on how regulators work, both diaphragm and both types of piston regs, as well as 2nd stages. It's worth buying before you buy anything else. Since you are already leaning towards self servicing, I would highly encourage you to get this book and learn what you need to service your own regulators. Self regulator service is the best scuba-related decision I've ever made.

Yes to this.

I'd like to thank everyone for all of their input on regs, it has helped guide my research a great deal. The main purpose was to get an idea of what I needed to look for so that the reg I purchase could follow me as my diving experience and activities expanded past standard open water dives. I think I have a great amount of information that will help me accomplish that. Thanks again! (If only this many people had welcomed me to the board.....)

The HOG situation is unusual; you can freely buy parts and service literature, but not until you've taken their course on regulator service.

You can buy service kits without a course.

All I know is that whenever I bought them, I ordered, and have, the service kits to go with. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought them. I'm now thinking of making my own anyway. Demystification is a scary and dangerous thing..............................................................
to retailers.

If only this many people had welcomed me to the board.....)

Welcome to Scubaboard.

Have they changed their policy?

I haven't read their official policy, but you can openly buy the kits from several well-known sources.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom