Can someone explain regs to me, in laymans terms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another issue with HOG regs is that they are currently only offered in DIN. If you usually dive yoke tanks, don't buy a DIN reg. It's one of the few real mistakes you can make in reg purchasing.

I don't think I could possibly disagree more. With a DIN reg and yoke adapter you can use any tank anywhere in the world. If you have a yoke reg, you can not use a DIN tank unless it has a plug, and only 200 bar valves can accept the plug. So you could find yourself with a 300 bar DIN valve and no way to use it. Further, DIN connections are more secure because of the captured o-ring. And if you ever get into technical or rebreather diving down the road, you will certainly be going DIN and paying to have your yoke reg converted or selling it. You can't go wrong getting DIN in the first place. But if you really want yoke, you can buy Edge, which is the same company that makes HOG, but is their recreational line.

The best deal I have seen in a while on regulators is this: Dive Rite RG2500 1st and 2nd Stage regulator [rg2500] - $199.99 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

The shop has a great reputation on SB, and Diverite does sell parts. However, I have never used Diverite regs so I cannot attest to them personally.

I use Dive Rite regs. Mine are 10 years old now and operate like new. I have had zero issues with them. I began using them as deco/stage bottle regs and using my Scuba Pro MK25/G250's as backgas regs. Since moving to side mount, they have been used as my main regs. My Scuba Pro's sit now. They are easy breathing, and I love the fact that the second stage is a rubber cover and not a button.

I don't think I could possibly disagree more.

Thank you for beating me to it. I will buy nothing but DIN regs for the reasons you stated. I own plenty of tanks, but at times have to use a rental. If so, it does not matter what I get, I can use them with an adapter if need be. I am wanting to get my wife certified when I get home, and her gear will be DIN as well. I always found the comment of people saying things like unless you own your tanks, and will never rent, buy yoke comical.

I'm not even certified as a full fledged SCUBA diver yet, and I know the benefits of have a DIN style first stage, along with a yoke adapter. To me, and correct me if I'm wrong, wherever you go in the world; as long as you are using your own reg setup (for instance the HOG D1) and have the yoke adapter, you can slap that sucker on any tank out there. For someone to have the Divemaster title under their name, to say something to the effect of stay away from DIN, just boggles my mind. Maye that's just me, but hey, to each his own. Me personally, I prefer to know that wherever I go, I can use my own stuff....

I'm not even certified as a full fledged SCUBA diver yet, and I know the benefits of have a DIN style first stage, along with a yoke adapter. To me, and correct me if I'm wrong, wherever you go in the world; as long as you are using your own reg setup (for instance the HOG D1) and have the yoke adapter, you can slap that sucker on any tank out there. For someone to have the Divemaster title under their name, to say something to the effect of stay away from DIN, just boggles my mind. Maye that's just me, but hey, to each his own. Me personally, I prefer to know that wherever I go, I can use my own stuff....

There are some issues with din-yoke adapters but not insurmountable. First off, you now have two o-rings that can cause you problems and secondly (and probably most common) is the use of an adapter moves the first stage further from the valve and it tends to hit me in the head more when looking up/back. But since I mostly do technical diving and all my regs are DIN, I put up with the occasional hassle involved with using yoke adapters for the few dives involving those.

Well, my opinion is based on years of diving experience, not reading opinions on an internet forum. The big disadvantage with the adapter is that it puts the reg an inch or two off the tank valve, which, depending on where you like to position the tank, can bang you in the back of the neck or head every time you look up. This is especially an issue if you use a BP/W which puts the tank close to your back and relatively high, just where I want it. This is a very simple situation; if you use yoke tanks, buy a yoke reg, and if you use DIN, buy a DIN reg. If you're diving with rental tanks, as are most new divers, just check to see whether the places you dive are primarily yoke or DIN. In the U.S. and caribbean, that's at least 95% yoke. I don't know about Japan, but you should find out. The 'advantages' of DIN for OW diving are tiny, despite the claims of DIN users on this forum, and many of the comparisons are based on owners' personal DIN tanks vs rental yoke, often at a resort where tanks really get abused. Not exactly a fair comparison. I am certain that if DIN tanks were the common rental at a place like Cozumel, we'd see plenty of banged up out-of-round DIN valves that binded on regulator threads. I've experienced that when renting doubles for cave use in MX.

If you intend to be routinely switching between yoke and DIN, the adapter can be useful, but most divers in that situation will simply have regulators for each. It only takes one dive with your head banging against the reg to be sold on that idea, and maybe you'll have the chance to find out for yourself. Some people like the tank low enough and far enough away from their head so that it doesn't matter, but not me. I like to put the tank where it trims out best for me, and I like to be able to reach the valve without loosening my harness.

I understand you're enthusiastic about this, and gathering new information, but I'm trying to be helpful to you and you're not being very respectful. So once again, find out what kind of tank you will be primarily diving and get a reg to fit that tank. Simple....

If I came off as disrespectful, my apologies. That was not my intention. What you were saying came across in a different manner in my mind, that's all. I do see what you are saying now. But, for now, like you recommended, I'll keep my options open and see which valve setup suits me best.

You can just buy whatever fitting you need, DIN or Yoke, and just screw it into the regulator. You don't need the clunky adapter.

another simple solution to using a din regulator with an adapter is to turn the tank around 180 degrees. i dove that way for years. HOGs are great regulators. I no longer buy into the local service argument, because local service sucks. the only regulator failures i have ever experienced came immediately after local service

Back
Top Bottom