Can I pick up Doubles by the manifold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atticus:
lol, I wasn't calling you a tree hugger, more referencing that I feel like I'm hugging a tree when I carry doubles this way.

The reason it feels dangerous to me to carry doubles by hugging them -- In order to feel like I have a hold of them I raise them up until they stick in front of my face. This puts my arm around the middle of the doubles and lets me cant them outwards slightly so the tank boots poke into my belly. In this position I can't see worth a darn, I'm clumsy to begin with, and I start thinking about tripping over something ...

When they're 'on' they're strapped to my back and not impeding my view of where I'm walking. Also if I stumble over something unless I go completely down the tanks aren't going flying.

You're welcome to carry your tanks any way you like of course, I'm just saying it doesn't work very well for me.

Hrmmm interesting -- I don't think I pick them up as high as you do. I can see just fine and don't have tank boots in my belly. I could see how having them too high would change the center of gravity precariously.

I know I got a surprised exclaimation on my last trip from a couple of guys who saw me carry some tanks that way -- "hrmmm -- I never thought about carrying them that way before!"

captain:
I would like to see the arm strong enough to hold up doubles that are heavy enough to bend a manifold. A chain is only as strong as the weakest link. In this case it's the arm.

I've been carrying mine by the manifold for almost 20 years. They are as strong as the day I first put them together. Of course, for long hauls, I toss 'em on my back (if my BC is attached) or on my shoulder. That's not to protect the manifold, but to make it easier on me.

I've finally gotten up the nerve to ask this (potentially stupid) question.

Considering the necessity of having one's tank valve(s) on/open upon entry, why after all these years, isn't there a knob on the market that has a protruding pointer/arrow or detent dot, or a line on the valve with a corresponding line on the knob? Something along those lines.

Then a diver could tell at a glance if someone has messed with their valves on a charter boat, etc. Of course I realize that you should physically check your valve(s)
and be able to reach them under water, but it perplexes me why after almost 50 yrs. time, an easy visual reference isn't marketed and standard.

Why not? Am I missing something obvious? Do knobs not turn the same amount from full off to full on so that an alignment mark would match up? A ratchet style or locking knob would allow one to set the "on" visual reminder easily.

Has such a product or do it yourself project ever been available?

Thanks. After ages of wondering, I just HAD to ask!:D

It's not a bad question. Thanks for asking.

Not all knobs turn the same the same amount. It has to do with how the threads are physically cut. Some turn on/off in a few turns, others take a few hours.

As far as the indicator arrow, if I understand you correctly, it would be possible to (mostly) close the valve and still have the arrow pointing to the on position. That is, if I understand you correctly.

I've come up with a new system for making sure that my valves are in the proper position before jumping in. I physically check them! Mine should all, including the isolator, be open, so I try to close them a few turns, then I open them back up all the way. No quarter turn back. Dead nuts open. :D

do it easy:
I've come up with a new system for making sure that my valves are in the proper position before jumping in. I physically check them! Mine should all, including the isolator, be open, so I try to close them a few turns, then I open them back up all the way. No quarter turn back. Dead nuts open. :D

I use exactly the same procedure. I'm afraid a "visual indicator system" would cause more trouble for me than it would solve.

Back
Top Bottom