Can I get too warm in a wetsuit? How thick should I go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

odysseus

Registered
Reaction score
This question might be a bit obvious to people from different climates than I, but here goes.

I've done quite a bit of diving, but only ever cold water (CA, WA, etc). Now I find myself ready to go to Bermuda for three weeks in May/June, and again in September. Each time, I'll be spending quite a bit of time in the water.

Here's my question: Is it possible to get too warm in a wetsuit? I'm thinking about getting a 7mm, just so I also have it for NC diving.

Thoughts?

(difficulty: I'm 6'4". This sorta limits me to Pinnacle and Bare.

further difficulty: I'm poor.)

Well, what are the water temps? You probably won't get overheated even in a 7mm but you might be able to get by with 3mm or even nothing. Without knowing the temps you consider "cold" for your normal diving and the type of exposure protection you're used to, it can be hard to offer advice.

-Rob

I'm used to semi-dry or 7mm farmer johns.

Normal on the West Coast would be anywhere from 45-55, with about 51 being the average on the bottom.

Apparently in Bermuda, it'll be in the mid-70s, but like I said, I'm planning on long bottom times at shallow depths.

A 7mm 1 piece may be OK but will certainly be overkill based or the cold tolerance you describe.

We were in Bermuda 2 years ago last week and the water was in the upper 60s. You should be well into the 70's where I'd be uncomfortable in a 7mm. My 5/4 velocity would be a nice choice for extensive diving. Add a hooded chicken vest for good measure.

I have been uncomfortably warm in wetsuits while diving here in Maine so the answer is definitely yes. With the 7mm you can always introduce water through the neck and skip the head gear to keep cool. I'm sure you can make it work if you want to get double duty from the suit.

Pete

I'm used to semi-dry or 7mm farmer johns.

Normal on the West Coast would be anywhere from 45-55, with about 51 being the average on the bottom.

Apparently in Bermuda, it'll be in the mid-70s, but like I said, I'm planning on long bottom times at shallow depths.

Why not take the farmer john. If its too warm just use the top half and dive it as a shorti. I have used mine as a shorti in 75 degree water and been comfy.:wink:

A lot depends on the person. I have been diving in a shorty in Yap where the photo pro there, another Canadian, was diving a 7mm and was cold...

T
further difficulty: I'm poor.)

Well, you will be REALLY poor after a few weeks in Bermuda! :D Its not cheap here.

Like the other posts said, its really what you are comfortable with and used to...

I agree a 7 mil may be overkill. Plus, you will need a lot of lead to get down with that thickness, which just makes the dive unnecessarily shorter with having to deal with all that lead to push around in the salty seas around Bermuda.

Getting a two piece is a good bet, since you can mix and match depending on how cool or warm you feel.

Scubamax

You can definitely get too warm just depends where you're diving though. The water can get up to 90F in Okinawa. Dive a 7mm here and you'll be sweating.

A lot depends on the person. I have been diving in a shorty in Yap where the photo pro there, another Canadian, was diving a 7mm and was cold...
On a liveaboard in the Red Sea, some people were using 3 mil shorties or 3 mil full suits, we were using our 7 mil suits and all Dive Guides were using drysuits.

Back
Top Bottom