Can I get too warm in a wetsuit? How thick should I go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just in Florida.

I am a cold wussie.....

I was very... Almost too warm in a 3mm full suit.

Some were cold in a 7mm suit and I cant see how....

I dive the same cold water as you and I will freeze in a 7mm wetsuit in Monterey, And I now dive dry because I could not stay warm in anything but a dry-suit in Monterey.

But I spent two week's in Fort Lauderdale and almost roasted in a 3mm full suit, And as I said some of the locals where waring a 7mm and still got chilled

I have definitly been too hot in my 7mm FJ wetsuits in waters above 55 degree and 60 in a one peice. I can and do unzip a bit to allow cool water in as others suggested, but I find a cheap 3/2 in 68-75 degree waters awesome. It requires a lot less lead, it much more flexible, bouyancy control simpler and its just easier to don and doff. Personally I would head this way and bring a chicken vest or hood in case you need a bit more insulation. On the other hand, I camp in NH in the snow with temps below 0F, so my perspective is warped.

Thanks for all the replies!

Because of a week of quarry diving @ 43 degrees I've got to do next week, I decided to go with a 7/6 (it was on sale!). I'll just unzip/flood if I get too warm in Bermuda. As for the quarry... I don't think "warm" is going to be a problem, even with a vest and hood!

Here's my question: Is it possible to get too warm in a wetsuit?

In my view no it isnt especially if doing repeated dives.

Absolute worst case if you get too warm just unzip a bit or flush some water through.

I dont think its physically possible to get too hot in a wetsuit but its easily possible to get too cold.

Ive worn 11mm in 83f water and not overheated.

We took our 5mm's to Nassau in January for a week on a liveaboard, and were never too warm. There were people there doing more dives on that trip in shorts, or 3mm shorties though so it's very much personal tolerance.

One thing that I'm sure helped the situation somewhat is that on the boat, we were able to gear up in the shade. Being on an open shore or an open boat would certainly have changed the comfort factor, at least while on the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom