Can I drink a few beers after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I honestly don't think I ever did a dive and NOT drink a beer after?!

And yes what Jayfarmlaw posted was hilarious!

Alcohol is a diuretic. It causes your body to remove fluids from your blood through your renal system, which includes the kidneys, ureters, and bladder, at a much quicker rate than other liquids. If you don't drink enough water with alcohol, you can become dehydrated quickly.

Yes, reaching for a beer after a dive is not a good idea. There are a couple of theories why.

The first one is that goes hand in hand with the common scuba diving problem of dehydration.

Alcohol further dehydrates you which interferes with the release of nitrogen from your body. Some say that dehydration is one of the biggest contributors to DCS and alcohol aids that.

The first drinks that we should be talking after scuba diving are those that will rehydrate us. No alcohol or caffeine-based drinks.

The second issue is if you drink a lot. The alcohol can mask the symptoms of DCS and thus delaying treatment if you do have DCS.

Things you cannot do straight after scuba diving · Aussie Divers Phuket
Makes sense, always better to be more conservative. Thanks for the feed back

Beer is some nasty crap. Smells like pig swill.

For a very rare drink, it’s straight vodka (I keep a bottle in my freezer, Russian style) or hard cider.

I was taught by a very capable instructor who admits in his younger days, huge drinking nights before diving were common and often regretted during the dive. Spewing into your regulator at 30m apparently is not so comfortable or flattering to look at.

Diving here in the Solomon Islands where at 30m the water temp is still 30deg celcius, dehydration is a real issue so plenty of water before and after a dive is often mandatory. After your last dive of the day, then beers (or in my case, bourbon) is warranted and enjoyed. If diving the next day then just don't over do it. If not diving the next day, fill your boots!

Enjoy
Tony
Hey Tony thanks for the feedback, I could imagine that back in the day folks partied hard haha, more so then my young generation

After extensive scientific based testing with a formed hypothesis, control groups, blind testing, and repeatable outcomes....I find that there is NOTHING Better than a very cold Mexican beer to clear out all that orange-ish crap that forms in your throat after a long dive. 36.4 percent of the times it takes 24 ounces to successfully remove the flem. 34.6 percent of the time it takes more than 24 ounces. 35% of the time the addition of a margarita is necessary after 24 ounces of Mexican beer to remove oro nasal congestion. 4 out of 5 dentists surveyed actually recommend Mexican beer after a dive because the little Hispanic bubbles in your mouth throw their own little Cinco De Mayo fiesta and clean your teeth more effective than even the best toothpaste. The Fifth dentist was high on nitrous....

The best beer is Bohemia Obscura followed by Dos Equis Amber. American domestic beers will take repeated applications but can be effective with the addition of Bloody Mary mix, worchestershire, lime, and chili salt.

IPA's are not effective because the flem tastes better than an IPA. Actually....bilge water tastes better than an IPA. Further scientific study proves that there really is no good use for an IPA except maybe washing down Bourbon Street after Mardi Gras...possibly putting out oil refinery fires.

Have a beer for me!!
Jay
Lmaooooo! That’s good ****. I will crack a cold one for ya

doesn't anyone else here smoke pot? I nice fat joint after a long day of diving while browsing through the day's photos sitting in the backyard or roof of the rental home is freaking awesome.

never smoke before diving, though. I imagine task loading would escalate to a whole different level.
id be more concerned about having ggoing into a chamber baked compared to buzzed. Being stoned in the chamber might result in a nasty panic attack

There are no Scuba Police. I would:
1. Rehydrate with water or Gatorade after the dive day
2. Enjoy alcohol moderately in the evening.
3. Once you take alcohol, you're done diving for the day.
"there are no scuba police" I like that haha

Beer is some nasty crap. Smells like pig swill.

For a very rare drink, it’s straight vodka (I keep a bottle in my freezer, Russian style) or hard cider.
ill give you that some beer can smell, and taste awful

Zubrowka is a Polish vodka that's flavored with a grass the Polish bison (Zubr) like to eat

Bison p!ss vodka

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom