Can I dive without an octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My octo broke and is being fixed(probably takes a week or two):(.
Can I go without it for week or two?(is it illegal or something?)
Go to your local dive shop (LDS) and see whether they have a used regulator for sale. You can probably pick up a safe second that you can use for less than $25 if it’s old enough.

SeaRat

Bent is treatable, dead not so much.

Very true. However, for @60plus to nonchalantly recommend ditching weights at depth as standard procedure is irresponsible. He presents this as a matter-of-fact first course of action which could easily lead to an uncontrolled assent, depending on the weights involved, resulting in serious physical repercussions.

This thread is in the “Basic Scuba” forum creating a dangerous precedent for novice divers. Rent, buy or borrow an octo has been reiterated throughout this thread or simply don’t dive.

Moreover, a CESA (controlled emergency swimming accent) should be the recommended procedure in the event of a catastrophic failure, medical issue or massive stupidity (with the more drastic measures to follow). I rarely dive without slinging a bottle, so if an issue arises I can switch to a secondary air source in a few seconds. No drama. Cheers!

You should not dive without an octo but having said that it does not take that long to surface from 30m if you drop your weights, you should easily be able to last that long without taking in another breath, but do remember to exhale slowly on ascent to prevent lung over extension.

From which figment of fiction did you pluck this nonsense

Bent is treatable, dead not so much.

Often used statement from those that have absolutely no idea of the lifelong ramifications of bent

I only dove with people who knew how to buddy breath, never ever had an octo.

Before you dive you should make sure your equipment is up to par; don't start a dive with an equipment issue is a good rule to follow. Aside from sharing air with another diver, the octo can save you if you have a problem with the primary such as lost mouthpiece or the rare case of hose occlusion.

You should not dive without an octo but having said that it does not take that long to surface from 30m if you drop your weights, you should easily be able to last that long without taking in another breath, but do remember to exhale slowly on ascent to prevent lung over extension.

Drop your weights at 30 meters? Are you kidding me?

From which figment of fiction did you pluck this nonsense

The figment of fiction from which it was plucked is standard instruction for OW certification for all agencies affiliated with the WRSTC, which means roughly 99% of divers were taught that in their first scuba classes.

This is essentially what has been taught by the US and British Navies as the standard escape process from submarines for well over half a century. They have tested it from about 100 meters. Not only is it done from those depths on one breath, they are taught to exhale fully before starting that ascent. A google search will give you nice videos of this being done.

Two contrasting stories:

1. In all my dives (quite a few), I have only been in the water when a diver went out of air one time. It went very well. I have never met another diver who has mentioned being part of an OOA experience. Therefore, I would guess odds are overwhelming that your experience of diving without an octo will be incident free.

2. About 10 years ago, a woman rented gear for a dive in Florida, and the regulator set did not have an octo. On that same dive, a man was hunting lobster and intentionally overweighted himself in his new BCD. He evidently did not understand the integrated weight system in that BCD, so when he ran out of air, he was unable to ditch the weights in order to stay on the surface. The woman attempted to buddy breathe with him. They both drowned. Therefore, if it happens despite the odds, it might not be a good experience.

I am shocked about some answers.
It's the basic scuba forum.

A secondary second stage is absolutely a mandatory equipment.
Especially for a new diver.

Dropping weights at 30m is something, that should not be done. If you have to do that, you ****** up at so many things before. One of this things could be diving without an octo.

Yes it's possible and yes I know people who did a 30m uncontrolled ascent. But it's not safe, even when doing everything right(exhaling), it can be letal.

Rent a octo or don't go diving until you get yours back.
You can always dive on another day..unless you are dead.

Back
Top Bottom