Can I dive without an octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please rent an octo, a dive shop may have it for as low as $15 a day..

Just FYI, that thing doesn’t even have a normal 3/8” thread. Please buy from a reputable manufacturer whenever possible, a few bucks worth it :wink:

That thing does have a normal 3/8” thread under the adaptor
The reputable manufacturer uses exactly the same reg with a different sticker on the purge button

Also, the SpareAir is useless below 30ft.

What are you talking about here

That thing does have a normal 3/8” thread under the adaptor
The reputable manufacturer uses exactly the same reg with a different sticker on the purge button

What are you talking about here

Those (very) small hand held air bottles, about the size of a spray can.

People also dived without octos for the longest time, and it even took a while for dive-agencies to get on board with the idea of octos.

Recreational scuba started in the'50's, and buddy breathing was still taught in the '80's because the alternate second stage was not the norm.

Taking shortcuts is NEVER ok...

It is if one has no idea of the consequences of their actions. That would be the difference between a shortcut and a choice. I would advise new divers to work within their training, experience gives more options.

I often dive without an octo.
In such cases. I simply use a second reg on the second post of my tank. I did never use any tank without having double posts...

Sure, do what you want. There are no scuba police except the ones in your head.

What about all the ones on social media? :wink:

You should not dive without an octo but having said that it does not take that long to surface from 30m if you drop your weights, you should easily be able to last that long without taking in another breath, but do remember to exhale slowly on ascent to prevent lung over extension.

You should not dive without an octo but having said that it does not take that long to surface from 30m if you drop your weights, you should easily be able to last that long without taking in another breath, but do remember to exhale slowly on ascent to prevent lung over extension.

Drop your weights at 30 meters? Are you kidding me?

Back
Top Bottom