can i buy ccr without course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you all high?
I can order any of the top 5 rebreathers on the market with no questions asked. If not directly from the manufacturer then trough one of the dozens of resellers. I bought 2 used units so far without anyone asking for my cert. I just sold my unit to a guy who has yet to find a instructor.
Half the mod3 divers I know were trained on a AP inspiration or something like that and never did a crossover course to their current unit.

Does that mean I support diving a rebreather without training? No, it will kill you. You will die. (That's how I ended the transaction for my unit)

:)
(@JMBL : are you talking about the Sentinel and this unfortunate accident of a few years ago?)

Sorry mate, didn't notice your post. Don't remember the rig, but I fear we have the same accident in mind, in French cave country. I had met previously both of the divers involved : seller and buyer. Nasty story, I prefer not to think about too often.

Are you all high?
I can order any of the top 5 rebreathers on the market with no questions asked. If not directly from the manufacturer then trough one of the dozens of resellers. I bought 2 used units so far without anyone asking for my cert. I just sold my unit to a guy who has yet to find a instructor.
Half the mod3 divers I know were trained on a AP inspiration or something like that and never did a crossover course to their current unit.

Does that mean I support diving a rebreather without training? No, it will kill you. You will die. (That's how I ended the transaction for my unit)
But you, and your MOD3 examples, have all taken the initial MOD1 course AND have considerable experience diving their units.

That’s a lot different from the OP who has zero experience (inferred from the question) and would like to self learn.

Also, attitudes to rebreather dive training has hardened up as the “should be sold with its own shovel [to dig your own grave]” reputation is countered by the scuba community and manufacturers.

Diving a rebreather is expensive; the initial cost is high (unless it’s a clapped out old banger which will need a lot of money spent on it); the running costs are high (‘sorb, cells, spares, gas, analyser); the training and practice costs are high (lots of time = money) and the meticulous preparation (hours the day before and after to clean and sterilise the unit).

The ~~$1000 for the MOD1 course is nothing in comparison to that lot.

Are you all high?

We are dealing with different markets and regulations. In SE USA, I don't think I can get a new unit from a manufacturer without proper training. Most factory authorized resellers list training as a requirement. Some examples:

Also, as dive shops run on a thin margin and prefer to avoid expensive inventory, most shops will kindly ask you to pay by invoice/wire/check and wait for the unit to be built. These conversations will eventually lead to training questions.

If it sounds too restrictive, do not worry. We are quite liberal in other areas. You can buy a race-inspired 1000cc motorcycle without a motorcycle license, obtain firearms with minimal checks (in some jurisdictions), and we don't offer European style speed limiters or graduating driver licenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom