Can any swim stroke be used for PADI DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OW divers should be competant swimmers. I have little interest in being paired with an insta-buddy who cannot swim. Obviously, under adverse circumstances, this could be a dangerous situation, and has been in my experience.

A DM should be a strong swimmer. He or she may very well be required to assist someone in their charge. To compromise this principle would seem reckless. Sidestoke, though not one of the accepted competitive strokes, is a very effective stroke in lifesaving and scuba-related situations. With that exception, I would be unwilling to accept other alternative "swimming strokes"

Good diving, Craig

Freestyle is a specific swimming stroke

Jeff

Actually, Freestyle is kind of what the name implies: free-style (as in any-style). If Michael Phelps wanted to do the doggy paddle during the 400M Freestyle at the Olympics, it would be completely legal. In fact, according to FINA, the governing body of swimming, all you have to do is break the surface of the water within 15 meters (can't be completely underwater) and you can't push off the bottom. The reason why you see everyone doing the same stroke on TV is because it is the most efficient and fastest stroke possible, not because it is a rule.

If it's good enough for the Olympics, I think it meets the criteria for DM training. If you wanted to ensure that all DMs were stronger swimmers, impose some sort of stringent time criteria. For instance, 200 yards in 3.5 minutes. I would reckon that most average swimmers could even complete this side stroke.

I don't know if someone who is doing the swimtest "doggystyle" will be "fast" enough. Let alone has the strenght to do this and will not drown himself before he completes the swimtest. When the S*** hits the fan, I prefer to be rescued within a reasonably amount of time and not drown while the DM is "doggying" towards me.

Besides it just looks crappy to me, if someone can not swim like anyone else, they should learn before getting a "pro" status. I must say, I would make an exeption for the psychically challenged!

Seems to be a conflict here. You'd make an exception for the physically challenged yet you don't want to drown while he doggies to get you?

[QUOTE=

I was more making a point that swim tests don't necessarily have to be done doing an olympic level freestyle crawl in record time to be considered a higher skill level than other strokes in the context of swimming used in diving rescue scanarios.

I've been told the 400 meter swim has nothing to do with rescue scenarios. As pointed out here in another post, you'd be making a mistake to try a rescue without fins. Yet, you WOULD also probably go freestyle using your arms, which is not allowed on the 800 MFS.....

Clearly, the standards do take weakness and strength into consideration. As professionals, instructors are bound by the standards of the certifying agency they are working with.

The good news is, at the professional level, an instructor can withhold certification for someone who they don't believe would be an appropriate DM.

PS - I was required to score at least 3 on each part of the stamina test.

Another thing,
How many DM candidates do you think who maybe aren't the greatest swimmers in the world practice like hell to be able to pass the swim test. Then after they pass, in say 10 or 11 minutes and get through it, never keep up the conditioning later and get out of shape but keep working as divemasters?
Think this ever happens?

So let's say there is a percentage of DM's that let themselves get out of shape and never get in a pool and swim laps again after their initial certification test. Let's say some time after their DM cert they get thrown into a pool and are told to do the swim but they are out of shape and they fail, should they still be allowed to be DM's? What if we apply this to logic to instructors? How many do you think would be benched?

As proffesionals in the field responsible for the safety of people's lives shouldn't they be always ready and in shape?
What if they had to be recertified once a year and pass all the stamina and skill tests before they could continue working as DM's or instructors?

Excellent points. See my "Swim Poll" (and vote!) on the Going Pro Forum-- presently page 2. Right now 50% fall into the category you describe.

Actually, Freestyle is kind of what the name implies: free-style (as in any-style). If Michael Phelps wanted to do the doggy paddle during the 400M Freestyle at the Olympics, it would be completely legal. In fact, according to FINA, the governing body of swimming, all you have to do is break the surface of the water within 15 meters (can't be completely underwater) and you can't push off the bottom. The reason why you see everyone doing the same stroke on TV is because it is the most efficient and fastest stroke possible, not because it is a rule.

If it's good enough for the Olympics, I think it meets the criteria for DM training. If you wanted to ensure that all DMs were stronger swimmers, impose some sort of stringent time criteria. For instance, 200 yards in 3.5 minutes. I would reckon that most average swimmers could even complete this side stroke.

I'd be willing to accept izibo's suggested 200 yard time of 3.5 minutes, this is not very fast but would probably effectively separate the swimmers from the non-swimmers. A good 1st step.

Good diving, Craig

Excellent points. See my "Swim Poll" (and vote!) on the Going Pro Forum-- presently page 2. Right now 50% fall into the category you describe.

Link? For some reason I can't find such a thread.

Link? For some reason I can't find such a thread.

No link. Just go on SB to Basic Scuba Discussions--below that are listed sub forums--click on Going Pro and go to page 2--"Swim Poll".

No link. Just go on SB to Basic Scuba Discussions--below that are listed sub forums--click on Going Pro and go to page 2--"Swim Poll".

I know where the forum is. That post is just not there for me. Odd. If you could post a link I could find it maybe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom