Can an M4/3 setup be as versatile as TG6 for macro & wide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So for instance the 12-40 lens on the camera body and the wet lens would be for macro?

Or would you run a macro on the camera and a the wet lens would be a fisheye?
Your best bet is to call Reef Photo and tell them your desires. They can suggest lens/port/wet-lens combos to meet your needs. Likely the best combo for your EM-1 is the 12-42mm EZ ED zoom, with a bayonet adapter on the port. You would carry a CMC for extreme macro, and a WWL-B for wide-angle. You can zoom through the WWL if you want. The WWL port chart is here, .
I use almost this combo, but in an earlier incarnation...the WWL-1 and a CMC, on a OM-10. The wet wide angle does NOT cost $2200, I don't know where that number came from.

Your best bet is to call Reef Photo and tell them your desires. They can suggest lens/port/wet-lens combos to meet your needs. Likely the best combo for your EM-1 is the 12-42mm EZ ED zoom, with a bayonet adapter on the port. You would carry a CMC for extreme macro, and a WWL-B for wide-angle. You can zoom through the WWL if you want. The WWL port chart is here, .
I use almost this combo, but in an earlier incarnation...the WWL-1 and a CMC, on a OM-10. The wet wide angle does NOT cost $2200, I don't know where that number came from.

Check the price for the MWL.

Check the price for the MWL.
There is more than one wet wide lens from Nauticam.

There is more than one wet wide lens from Nauticam.

And I was referring to one of them :) The others aren't that much less expensive anyways. The TG6 WA wet lenses from Backscatter are much less expensive.

And I was referring to one of them :) The others aren't that much less expensive anyways. The TG6 WA wet lenses from Backscatter are much less expensive.
Cost is an issue, but the OP is talking about what is possible, not what it costs.
He should also be careful with that 12-40 PRO; it is an excellent lens but not as versatile for add-on wet lenses as the 12-42 ED, as your port chart you linked shows.

I am sticking to just one focal choice at a time in the MFT camera, with a good prime lens. But often still carrying the TG along as well in a stripped down 'pocket' housing config on dives, in case I need another focal range. Can still even re-plug a mini flash between cameras while underwater, with quick releases or muck sticks

OP, just call Reef Photo and talk to them. That is much better than reading posts on SB that may or may not be useful.

OP, just call Reef Photo and talk to them. That is much better than reading posts on SB that may or may not be useful.
Thanks. Reef photo has a lot of information so I'll start with them. I just didn't know where to look. Regarding the 12-40 pro, I don't own the lens but thank you for the head's up about lack of wet lenses. None of the lenses I have for it for land photography would be a good choice for UW. The big reason I'm considering the move is so I don't have to bring two cameras for trips where I want to take pictures while diving & topside.

Thanks. Reef photo has a lot of information so I'll start with them. I just didn't know where to look. Regarding the 12-40 pro, I don't own the lens but thank you for the head's up about lack of wet lenses. None of the lenses I have for it for land photography would be a good choice for UW. The big reason I'm considering the move is so I don't have to bring two cameras for trips where I want to take pictures while diving & topside.
Reef Photo is closely connected to Nauticam USA; they have the same address and share a building.

Basically, if you want to run a wet lens setup (i.e. switch between macro and wide during a dive) on M43, you have two choices: 14-42mm with diopters for macro and Nauticam WWL-1 or AOI UWL-09 or Inon UWL-H100 for wide, or 30mm macro prime which works on its own for macro, and can be used with Nauticam MWL-1 or Weefine WFL09S (Kraken KRL09S) for wide.

Beyond that, you have all the regular choices - 8mm fisheye, Tokina 10-17mm on either a glassless or 0.71x adapter, Canon 8-15mm on glassless adapter for your FE shots, 7-14mm, 9-18mm and 8-25mm for rectilinear wide, 12-40mm in a dome for fish shots/semi-macro, 30mm/45mm/60mm/90mm for macro.

Back
Top Bottom