Camera turns off by itself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My camera still does not charge fully (the suspect reason for the random shut offs) after the firmware update. Yes I do have one of those Sandisk cards... But what that has to do with charging the camera?

Wow....I just had the same problem with my hero2. It would turn on, start recording and a few seconds later shut down again. Sucks when you loose great footage because of an obvious manufacturing problem. I was going to buy a hero 3 but not sure I want to go that route as I've heard issues with flooding....and GP won't warranty anything ...Geesh

Wow....I just had the same problem with my hero2. It would turn on, start recording and a few seconds later shut down again. Sucks when you loose great footage because of an obvious manufacturing problem. I was going to buy a hero 3 but not sure I want to go that route as I've heard issues with flooding....and GP won't warranty anything ...Geesh

Coincidentally mine failed on my best dives...while in Hawaii six months ago, and last week diving the SoCal Oil Rigs under superb conditions. Sucked big time. It worked great for my trial beach dives ;-(

My camera still does not charge fully (the suspect reason for the random shut offs) after the firmware update. Yes I do have one of those Sandisk cards... But what that has to do with charging the camera?

I'm not an expert but my camera had some of the same issues you are going through. I finally got fed up and they are sending me a new one under warranty. I',m keeping my fingers crossed the new one works. As for the Sandisk card, many have problems w/ the 32g class 10 card stating it would not write fast enough while recording causing the camera to shut off (freeze up) possibly not a battery issue. Also are you charging the battery in the camera or using a wall charger ie. the wasabi unit? I have 3 batteries and am now only using a wall charger to charge them up. At first I too thought it was a battery issue but now I suspect a lemon camera (or bad firmware) and or micro card. I plan on getting a class 10 transcend card and not use my Sandisk anymore.

I had a similar problem with mine. Missed a lot of good dive pictures because of it. I thought it was a battery issue but tracked it down to a sandisk card problem I replaced the card with another brand and don't seem to have the problem anymore. Not sure what the card has to do with charging, but seems to work fine now.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Yes I am using a wall charger. I even switched cables just in case my cable was defective. I will order a transcend card but the charging issue should have nothing to do with the card. Afterall you can charge the unit without a card...

If is funny that the first comment I got on my question was one that sounded like "it is just you ... st...d". The more I search the more of a "lemon" trend I see.

I looked through the Hero 2 section of the GoPro forum for similar complaints and came up empty.

Most of the Hero 2 issues seem to be bricking with the latest firmware update. The only thread about turning off while filming seemed to be a battery connection issue---it was a bicycle mounted camera and folks speculated the bumping was breaking the connection.

The FAQ section strongly suggests charging via a dedicated USB charger---not connecting to your PC---but that's mostly to keep unwanted files from being loaded into the camera memory.

I suggest the following, not necessarily in this order: contact GoPro, and try a new battery.

I looked through the Hero 2 section of the GoPro forum for similar complaints and came up empty.

Most of the Hero 2 issues seem to be bricking with the latest firmware update. The only thread about turning off while filming seemed to be a battery connection issue---it was a bicycle mounted camera and folks speculated the bumping was breaking the connection.

The FAQ section strongly suggests charging via a dedicated USB charger---not connecting to your PC---but that's mostly to keep unwanted files from being loaded into the camera memory.

I suggest the following, not necessarily in this order: contact GoPro, and try a new battery.

Did contact GoPro and I am at the update the firmware part. Did it and reported back without success...Waiting.
Doubt I will invest in a new battery and put more dollars after a lemon. I think this should be a warranty issue and I will press on that.

Thanks for checking for me on the forums. I found some articles but in each case there was some "twist" that does not match mine....

They're firmware updates scare me these days. I reverted to v124 (I think, the one before v198) and am going to leave it there until someone else verifies things work in 2D and 3D. Their most recent update tends to brick hero 2's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom