Camera turns off by itself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The camera I loved when I used once was the Sealife. It is a bigger, regular size camera, but the buttons were designed for divers, the display is ultra-sharp allowing you to frame what you shoot, and the quality superb. Pricing around $450 the cost of GoPro with all the extras. I also think that Sealife autocorrects colors very well... I would take a look if I was looking for a camera. GoPro is compact but you pay in quality. Check out the Sealife DP 1400. I think that is a nice diving camera...and can be upgraded with strobes to add photography quality.

I have both the SeaLife DP 1400 and the GoPro Hero 2 with a Backscatter red flip filter. First, the only time I have a shut off problem with the GoPro is if the battery is used up. Some batteries are better than others. I'm using several 16 GB class 10 standard size SD cards. I can easily get 3 dives off of one card.

As for the SeaLife. It's a good inexpensive camera but it has different uses than the GoPro. I use it for still photography. It does a prettly close up macro, but often takes forever to focus and it won't take the picture until it thinks it is focused. As a result I run it in burst mode and take several shots to hopefully get one. The closer the macro the longer the focus before taking the shot. The SeaLife will also shoot decent video, but it is not wide angle. The wide angle makes a big difference on the video.

Right now I have both mounted to a single tray and pay attention to the SeaLife and just let the GoPro run the whole dive. Seems to work quite well.

An edited example from the SeaLife, the shell is about an 1-1/2 inches across. cPICT0521.jpg

DING DING DING..... to the OP, I have your answer.

I just returned from a week of diving with my GoPro2 with the monitor back. I have your answer!
I discovered that with the monitor back ON, the unit begins to overheat inside the housing. A few times the first few days I discovered this, and mine would suddenly shut off, even when the battery was still half full. I noticed the first time a bit of condensation inside the housing, so I know this is the case.
After 2 days of this issue, I began cutting the entire GoPro OFF while underwater and only turning it back on when I had something specific to shoot, not leaving it on for more than 5 minutes at a time. This allowed me to film on 2 back-to-back dives without having to open the case and let it cool down.

trust me.. this is exactly what the problem is with the unit shutting down on its own. I experimented all week, and this resolved the problem. The monitor back creates too much heat inside the housing, causing the GoPro to overheat and shut itself off.

I will have videos to post later this week... we just arrived back home after numerous airline delays, so I am busy cleaning gear today and unpacking.

robin

DING DING DING..... to the OP, I have your answer.

I just returned from a week of diving with my GoPro2 with the monitor back. I have your answer!
I discovered that with the monitor back ON, the unit begins to overheat inside the housing. A few times the first few days I discovered this, and mine would suddenly shut off, even when the battery was still half full. I noticed the first time a bit of condensation inside the housing, so I know this is the case.
After 2 days of this issue, I began cutting the entire GoPro OFF while underwater and only turning it back on when I had something specific to shoot, not leaving it on for more than 5 minutes at a time. This allowed me to film on 2 back-to-back dives without having to open the case and let it cool down.

trust me.. this is exactly what the problem is with the unit shutting down on its own. I experimented all week, and this resolved the problem. The monitor back creates too much heat inside the housing, causing the GoPro to overheat and shut itself off.

I will have videos to post later this week... we just arrived back home after numerous airline delays, so I am busy cleaning gear today and unpacking.

robin

Only problem with that theory is: I did not even have the monitor back when mine started exhibiting thus problem.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Only problem with that theory is: I did not even have the monitor back when mine started exhibiting thus problem.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

And how long are you leaving your GoPro ON for when it suddenly turns OFF? Is it sitting out in the sun on the boat at all?

I really do believe the problem is overheating with the unit. I have been shooting underwater video for 8+ years now (and topside photo/video for 40+ years) so I did not come to this conclusion without some experience to back it up.

robin
CCV trip videos coming soon!

And how long are you leaving your GoPro ON for when it suddenly turns OFF? Is it sitting out in the sun on the boat at all?

I really do believe the problem is overheating with the unit. I have been shooting underwater video for 8+ years now (and topside photo/video for 40+ years) so I did not come to this conclusion without some experience to back it up.

robin
CCV trip videos coming soon!

For your situation that may be the issue; but, I don't think it is a general solution. When it works, I can record video until The card is full (2+hours). If not, it only stays on for less than 30 seconds not nearly enough time to overheat. In addition, water is a great heat sink. Much better than air.

For me the problem seems to be related to the SD card. Reformating or replacing The card solves the problem. I believe there is a software issue with corrupting the files.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom