Camera turns off by itself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a similar problem with mine. Missed a lot of good dive pictures because of it. I thought it was a battery issue but tracked it down to a sandisk card problem I replaced the card with another brand and don't seem to have the problem anymore. Not sure what the card has to do with charging, but seems to work fine now.

What type of card did you switch to? I looked and cannot find a local retailer for the Transcend cards.

This whole thing may have happened to me but I cannot verify. I filmed topside for a long while (off and on for a couple hours) so my battery was probably close to bring dead when it shut off after 11s under water.

I am leaving for vacation next week and would like to get another card before i go just in case I am having the problem too.

What type of card did you switch to? I looked and cannot find a local retailer for the Transcend cards.

This whole thing may have happened to me but I cannot verify. I filmed topside for a long while (off and on for a couple hours) so my battery was probably close to bring dead when it shut off after 11s under water.

I am leaving for vacation next week and would like to get another card before i go just in case I am having the problem too.

The original card was a Sandisk 64gbyte class 10 card. I was having problems with the battery not charging and the camera shutting down after only a few seconds of video recording.

I changed to a 32gbyte PNY card and no longer have a problem. I also tried a Sandisk Ultra 32gbyte card with no problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

DYTIS- you contacted GP?? How did you do that? Was it other means that their web page...I'm a bit aggravated that a corporation that large
vitrually has verry little in the way of customer service...

DYTIS- you contacted GP?? How did you do that? Was it other means that their web page...I'm a bit aggravated that a corporation that large
vitrually has verry little in the way of customer service...

I went through the website in the support section. I did get a response after a couple of days instructing me to update the firmware (I had tried this before). I updated the firmware and nothing changed, so now it has been several days and no further response. I suppose they depend a lot on their self-supported fan base (like the forums reported) and therefore take their time replying. They have also sold a lot of these cameras and I do not think that things are peachy at their support department. These cameras as simple as they look they are pretty sensitive and lots of people need support.

BTW a friend picked up the Sony Action Cam and apparently that performs a lot better. On comparisons I see on YouTube I do see better color and definition and much better performance under low light. That should give GP a run for its money...

Back to the waiting queue to hear from GP support...

DYTIS- I'm not seeing any flat lense or red filter options for the Sony...if you don't mind ask him what he's done to hi.

DYTIS- I'm not seeing any flat lense or red filter options for the Sony...if you don't mind ask him what he's done to hi.

I am not sure about the Sony diving options. The friend that bought it, is not a diver so he does not have anything extra. See the Youtube comparisons however and you will notice that the colors on the Sony are sharper.

The camera I loved when I used once was the Sealife. It is a bigger, regular size camera, but the buttons were designed for divers, the display is ultra-sharp allowing you to frame what you shoot, and the quality superb. Pricing around $450 the cost of GoPro with all the extras. I also think that Sealife autocorrects colors very well... I would take a look if I was looking for a camera. GoPro is compact but you pay in quality. Check out the Sealife DP 1400. I think that is a nice diving camera...and can be upgraded with strobes to add photography quality.

I had the problem where it turned off by it self after several seconds. It sucked because you hit record and expect it to work and then you get some cool shots and realize it wasn't recording the whole time. I fixed it by formatting the card. It does seem to be a microSD card problem and not a camera problem. I have Sandisk cards and so far the reformat has worked, but hopefully I won't have to go buy new cards of a differant brand.

I had the same issue with my GoPro Hero 3 Black, it kept shutting off after a minute or two of recording. My fix: don't mess with the files. GoPros get touchy if you plug your card into a computer and copy or even view the files. After you fill a card or are done filming for the day transfer all your files over to storage (computer or external hard drive), plug the memory card back into the GoPro and erase the data (format) through the GoPro. So far it has worked!

Getting excited for Roatan/Belize combined trip on Friday! Will post video once processed.

Camera: GoPro Hero 3 Black
Memory: 2x SanDisk 32g Class 10
Battery: Wasabi

And I thought I was cursed. I've given up on the GoPro Hero2 I bought. From day one it would just randomly turn off. But only every underwater..... Useless things.

Back
Top Bottom