Camera Attachment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We used several lanyards, found that many would break. We had Cetecea make up one that does not have plastic connection parts or coils. Ours uses 4000 lb test webbing sewn through (no plastic clips) with a ss clip or bolt snap and extremely stong parachute cord. We've sold these for many years without issue.

Cetacea Coiled Webbing Lanyard - Clip

They're on sale right now at only $27.95

Lanyard-4.jpg

Cetacea Coiled Webbing Lanyard - Bolt Snap

Lanyard-3.jpg

I use a coil lanyard, clipped to my right chest D-ring
View attachment 631158

I used to use that exact one. But, brass bolt snaps eventually get "sticky". I.e. the gate is sticky to open/close. I do not want to clip it off, have the gate stick open, and then have it jump off my D-ring and lose my camera.

At the beginning of this year, I got one of these:

Wire Reinforced Stretch Coil Shock Lines

The version with 2 stainless steel bolt snaps - one on each end. I am very, very happy with it. More expensive than some other options, but totally worth it, to me. I expect it to serve me well for years.

I like that it has bolt snaps on both ends, instead of a loop of cord on one end. It's more easy and convenient to remove or attach to the camera. And I like that the bolt snaps are stainless steel. Also, the coiled part is very beefy. Definitely no concern at all with having my expensive full-frame camera and strobe rig hanging from it if I drop it.

I definitely would not prefer to use anything with carabiners on it. They are AKA suicide clips for a reason. I don't mean that to sound like "if you use that, you will DIE." I'm just saying that (to me, anyway) they DO add a little more risk than using bolt snaps - so why not use bolt snaps?

@JackConnick

What's this bit for?

full

You insert that loop of cord through any convenient hole in your camera rig and then put the rest of the lanyard through that loop. That attaches the whole lanyard to your camera rig. The clip on the other end clips to any convenient D-ring on your BCD harness.

I used to use that exact one. But, brass bolt snaps eventually get "sticky". I.e. the gate is sticky to open/close. I do not want to clip it off, have the gate stick open, and then have it jump off my D-ring and lose my camera.

At the beginning of this year, I got one of these:

Wire Reinforced Stretch Coil Shock Lines

The version with 2 stainless steel bolt snaps - one on each end. I am very, very happy with it. More expensive than some other options, but totally worth it, to me. I expect it to serve me well for years.

I like that it has bolt snaps on both ends, instead of a loop of cord on one end. It's more easy and convenient to remove or attach to the camera. And I like that the bolt snaps are stainless steel. Also, the coiled part is very beefy. Definitely no concern at all with having my expensive full-frame camera and strobe rig hanging from it if I drop it.

I definitely would not prefer to use anything with carabiners on it. They are AKA suicide clips for a reason. I don't mean that to sound like "if you use that, you will DIE." I'm just saying that (to me, anyway) they DO add a little more risk than using bolt snaps - so why not use bolt snaps?

I've had mine for many years, bolt snap works as if new. I like the look of the one you use

I don't like the carabiner type of clip as they tend to hook and bind on your d-ring when you try to remove it. The brass or steel bolt snaps work much better in my experience. If you think it might get sticky then rinse it well and squirt some wd-40 on it now and again.

I have had the plastic coils break and detach in the water before. For years now I have reinforced the coil with a loop of 1/8" bungie looped inside the coil to the end points.

IMG_20210108_091140.jpg
IMG_20210108_091307.jpg

You insert that loop of cord through any convenient hole in your camera rig and then put the rest of the lanyard through that loop. That attaches the whole lanyard to your camera rig. The clip on the other end clips to any convenient D-ring on your BCD harness.

Doesn't look too strong as it's pretty thin looking compared to the 6mm lanyard I'm currently using

full

I don't like the carabiner type of clip as they tend to hook and bind on your d-ring when you try to remove it. The brass or steel bolt snaps work much better in my experience. If you think it might get sticky then rinse it well and squirt some wd-40 on it now and again.

I have had the plastic coils break and detach in the water before. For years now I have reinforced the coil with a loop of 1/8" bungie looped inside the coil to the end points.

The one I'm using (linked above) has a steel cable core inside the coiled cord.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom