Cam Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude:
I thread cam straps so rarely that I always have to stop and think, and try one or two things before it all comes back to me.

A friend of mine recently had me help her set up her new DSS rig just before we went out on a night dive, and as usual, it took me a try or two before I got the combo. Funny thing is, she ended up re-doing it a few days later for some reason, this time during the day, and nearly fell down laughing.

The DSS cam bands have little 1-2-3-4 numbers built into the cams to show the proper threading sequence! We just couldn't see it in the dark parking lot!

Very nice feature, if you ask me. Personally, however, I use the DiveRite SS bands on my [non-DSS] rig, and I like the rubber "plate" the cam rotates on (to protect the tank) vs. the stiffer plastic used in the DSS bands, as I think it holds a smidge more securely due to increased friction.

That sure sounds pretty funny!

Vie:
I'm not sure about compatibility with DSS plate/wing but I really like the Halcyon strap with the "OctoGrip" material - it really holds the tank securely and does not have to be extremely tight.

http://www.halcyon.net/acc/cambuckle.shtml

I wonder what is the difference between the OctoGrip and the rubber on Dive Rite's cam straps? I really like the rubber pads my DRs have but a GUE instructor told to remove them since they are unnecessary and not DIR. Needless to say, my pads haven't gone anywhere :D

piikki:
I really like the rubber pads my DRs have but a GUE instructor told to remove them since they are unnecessary and not DIR.
:confused:

You don't often hear a GUE instructor make a stupid comment ... but that one is.

The rubber pads serve a purpose ... and I'd like to see the DIR "standard" that they violate.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
:confused:

You don't often hear a GUE instructor make a stupid comment ... but that one is.

The rubber pads serve a purpose ... and I'd like to see the DIR "standard" that they violate.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I concur. There is no reason on earth that they should come off. They serve a valuable purpose, and do no conceivable harm. Further, there is very little difference between the overall concept of the DiveRite and Halcyon straps except for the H and the design printed on the H pads (and the cost...).

:shakehead

With the possible exception of some bungee (and it's not the worst, as far as bungee goes) on some of their wings, DiveRite stuff tends to be pretty DIR-compliant out of the box (or at least made so easily). They come from cave country, after all (not that that guarantees anything).

CompuDude:
I concur. There is no reason on earth that they should come off. They serve a valuable purpose, and do no conceivable harm. Further, there is very little difference between the overall concept of the DiveRite and Halcyon straps except for the H and the design printed on the H pads (and the cost...).
FWIW - I currently have sets of both H and DR straps installed on different rigs. The pad on the Halcyon strap is EXACTLY the same as the pad on the DR strap. For the H strap, it solves an additional problem ... the edges of the buckle on the older model H straps used to chip the paint off of enameled cylinders. The pad prevents that from happening. Because of the difference in design of the respective cam buckles, the DR straps never had that problem.

CompuDude:
With the possible exception of some bungee (and it's not the worst, as far as bungee goes) on some of their wings, DiveRite stuff tends to be pretty DIR-compliant out of the box (or at least made so easily). They come from cave country, after all (not that that guarantees anything).
The major issue with the "bungeed" DR wings is that they are designed to be a dual-purpose singles/doubles wing ... and their design compromises their efficiency for either application. From a DIR perspective, the right wing for a singles rig is a singles wing, and the right wing for a doubles rig is a doubles wing ... compromising performance for the sake of not having to purchase two wings just doesn't cut it. Removing the bungee from a Rec or Trek wing makes either a poor choice for a singles application. I've tried it ... and it's far from an optimal solution. The pull dump is another compliance issue, although you can order any DR wing with a simple elbow dump (or replace the pull dump yourself).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

CAM Bands are the type of thing that unless one routinely removes them, it's very easy to mess up the routing during the rare times one may have to remove them.

The couple times I've had to remove the bands, I never do both at once. That provides a visual example of the correct routing. Even with that I have to study the assembled band to get it right. Not intuitive at all! :shakehead

DR cam straps have an illustration marked into the buckle (side profile) of how the strap should be threaded. Very easy to interpret the illustration and no directions or numbers required.

Plus I like the sturdy SS buckles. It adds some weight as well, which may help with trim.

CompuDude:
Very nice feature, if you ask me. Personally, however, I use the DiveRite SS bands on my [non-DSS] rig, and I like the rubber "plate" the cam rotates on (to protect the tank) vs. the stiffer plastic used in the DSS bands, as I think it holds a smidge more securely due to increased friction.

CD,

I a little lost here. DSS does not furnish any stiff plastic pad as part of any camband. We do use fiber filled plastic cambuckles.

Long thin camband pads actually co very little to retain a tank. A long thin pad will not compress, the load is spread over too great an area.

Every DSS complete single rig includes wedge blocks. These compressible blocks maintain the tension in the cambands as the straps stretch. They also limit the maximum load on the buckle. The wedge blocks work only with DSS backplates.

The same effect can be achieved on any camband on any backplate, STA, or BC using our Camstrap Tension Pads.

Tobin

Whoops, you're right, Tobin, I was mixing up the DSS bands I recently worked on with the Golem bands I recently worked on. :)

Regardless, I like the pads, which protect the tank if nothing else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom