Calling out the Nitrox Posers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife:
but i dont drink beer Bulla... and at how many nitrox tanks can you haev before you need to go to meetings??

Hmm... duno... I was thinking of all the folks at the beach with tanks that was mentioned. Overall, I had to quick edit my post and found 3 or 4 after that :lol:

I've got 8 tanks for myself and Kristie and there are more in the works... hmm.. there are 6 actually here by the chair in fact.

Splitlip:
You find it acceptable?? Do you find my reply funny? Do I amuse you?
I bet I am not to old or over weight to kick your smart ***.
Ah just kidding. :D

Where in Florida are you? we should dive together sometime.:wink:

Careful Crazy me thinks he may do this to you :shiner:

:hmmm: You could get Almity to be your back-up :light:

Splitlip:

:lol:

but will you dive nitrox or air (or trimix for the hot guys in black)

Crazy Fingers:
Okay, I can't stand it any longer. For the record, I am nitrox certified. This means I know what nitrox is , when it can be useful, and when it can be dangerous. But it seems every time I am at some popular, shallow shore dive there is some buffoon there breathing nitrox.

I am not talking about an application where it might be useful. I am talking about 15' shore dives, 25' deep spring dives, or even instructors training people in swimming pools!! What is the point of this? In these instances you are not NDL limited, (and won't be on subsequent dives either) so there is really no reason to be breathing it. It just wastes money.

I think they look like idiots and are just trying to show off to non-nitrox divers and chicks on the beach.

Am I way off base here?

Why are you so worried about someone other than a government official/employee wasting money? It’s not coming out of your pocket. In fact it’s working FOR you.

If everyone was a penny watching penny pincher a lot of the luxuries you enjoy would not exist or at least not be as accessible as they are.

For example, if a dive shop were to ONLY sell higher % Nitrox to people only doing dives that were beneficial to the person breathing that gas, how many shops would be able to carry or afford to carry Nitrox. A lot of it does not get used for what training teaches but is used in shallower depths.

Have you ever burned up a partial tank on a shallow dive? For example, my wife doesn’t have lungs or at least she doesn’t use them. She normally uses higher % Nitrox on almost all her dives. She can max the tables on two 100’ dives and still make a 30’ or so dive for another 30 minutes. She breathes so little that unless the surface is almost mirror flat it’s hard to see her bubbles.

So I must be married to a Buffoon because she will finish burning up a tank at shallow depths. Ooops, I’m also a Buffoon because I sometimes grab one of her tanks to do a shallow dive because it’s marked Nitrox.

It fluctuates, but right now I have 14 tanks at home. 4 are hers and are marked as Nitrox. The rest are 21%. I stay from higher mixes but they are very helpful for her. If I throw 6 tanks in the vehicle/vessel and I go through two and she is still on the first one, I will grab one of her Nitrox tanks for a shallow dive. If I could I would dive a higher % most of the time deep or shallow.

It’s rare when I’m without a full 21% tank in my immediate possession, even on the trip home. So does that make someone a Buffoon?

I get all the free air I want or could ever wish for but I do have to pay for the Nitrox just like everyone else. So am I wasting money? Who cares, if I am it’s out of my pocket and I’m not worried.

You posted “What is the point of this? In these instances you are not NDL limited, (and won't be on subsequent dives either.” How do you know that a later dive won’t be an issue with NDL? You don’t know.

I can see you getting upset if we had a very limited rapidly being depleted 02 supply but we don’t. So take a chill pill and worry about something that might directly relate to you or your safety.

I for one do not care what someone drives or what color it is.

You saw something that hit a nerve. Then you posted something about it that hit my nerve. Now that we have both has a nerve flameout let’s get back to being normal forum friends. :D

Gary D.

Splitlip:

Hah, you don't need to kick my ***. The damn rocks at your beach have done it plenty of times. :11doh:

almitywife:
:lol:

but will you dive nitrox or air (or trimix for the hot guys in black)

Nitrox Baby. Keanu Reeves said in that movie "Pain heals. Chicks dig green stickers. Glory lasts forever." Oh wait. Chicks dig SCARS. Nevermind.

Splitlip:
Nitrox Baby. Keanu Reeves said in that movie "Pain heals. Chicks dig green stickers. Glory lasts forever." Oh wait. Chicks dig SCARS. Nevermind.
you had me at Keanu....... :eyebrow:

Crazy Fingers:
Hah, you don't need to kick my ***. The damn rocks at your beach have done it plenty of times. :11doh:
They are a blessing and a curse. It was actually pretty nice this summer. A lot of stuff to see (and catch) if you know what I mean.

almitywife:
you had me at Keanu....... :eyebrow:
. .:no

Splitlip:
what... you think youre the only one thats allowed to mis-quote a movie?? :D

i once spent a very pleasant day watching Keanu filming Matrix.... they were filming in the carpark we owned

BTW - a hell of alot of the Matrix film crew learnt to dive in sydney (hubby taught a fair few of them) and most of them learnt nitrox (to get back on topic in a way)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom