Calling out the Nitrox Posers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the OP is just jealous. I dive nitrox all the time at all depths within MOD. It's actually cheaper where I buy my gas to buy 32% than 21%, go figure. But you can't call me a poseur cuz I don't have any nitrox stickers on my doubles :wink:

Oh yeah, and being able to do a 60+ minute deep dive after only 1 hour SI is priceless...

Crazy Fingers:
Okay, I can't stand it any longer. For the record, I am nitrox certified. This means I know what nitrox is , when it can be useful, and when it can be dangerous. But it seems every time I am at some popular, shallow shore dive there is some buffoon there breathing nitrox.

I am not talking about an application where it might be useful. I am talking about 15' shore dives, 25' deep spring dives, or even instructors training people in swimming pools!! What is the point of this? In these instances you are not NDL limited, (and won't be on subsequent dives either) so there is really no reason to be breathing it. It just wastes money.

I think they look like idiots and are just trying to show off to non-nitrox divers and chicks on the beach.

Am I way off base here?

How do you know they are breathing nitrox? Because the tanks are O2 cleaned? Doesn't necessarily mean the are O2 enriched.
For me I dive nitrox almost exclussively because I fill my tanks AFTER I dive, not before. Always have 32% and 36%. Usually works for whatever dives comes up.
Reason I like it, is it cuts down on my required SI. Even so, I have had to thumb dives to avoid a deco obligation.
If I know for certain my next trip is a single tanker or know for certain I am diving exclusively with air guys, I might opt to save a couple bucks and fill with air.

divemaster_jim:
that's it! I'm selling everything!!:11:
:rofl3:

:rofl2: :yelclap: Jim, your going to have a line of boys behind you and some Nitrox diver chick is going to have a line of girls. Just doesn't seem right, does it :rofl3:

If trimix gets a bunch of buff guys in black dry suits, I'm signing up for Rec Triox tomorrow :)

TSandM:
If trimix gets a bunch of buff guys in black dry suits, I'm signing up for Rec Triox tomorrow :)

Okay, I really laughed out loud on that one. Perhaps if Almity, you, and myself all sign up at once we can get a discount :winky:

Perhaps it isn't just you who is finds this thread amusing. :rofl3:

:popcorn:

I figured the way I worded it would get you all fired up. But in all seriousness, I hadn't really considered that they were diving air in a O2 clean tank. This seems acceptable... I, personally, would have a dedicated air tank to save money on cleaning... but I do a lot of shallow shore dives too. .

But to the rest of you who are worried about getting DCS at 15' just because you are old or overweight... seriously, come on. The paranoia of the diving community never ceases to amaze me. :popcorn:

i must say.... with the deep/wreck/discovery guys i know.... they use rebreathers but for TS&M i will say one of these guys is very hot

the rest would make a interesting thread about tech and being unhealthy

Back
Top Bottom