Calling a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As pointed out by several, there is a big difference between low on Air and a medical situation. I would think everyone ending the dive because one is low on Air would depend on several things.
--Are there any laws for this situation where you're diving?
--Any Agency Standards?
--Dive Op policy that's spelled out beforehand?
-including partial/full refund for the day?

While everyone always says that anyone can call a dive for whatever reason, in practice, there’s definitely pressure not to. I’ve called the dive twice, both times was with a private DM so you would figure they wouldn’t mind and willingly oblige. While they did oblige, both times, the DM’s reaction was one of utter disappointment.
While everyone always says that anyone can call a dive for whatever reason, in practice, there’s definitely pressure not to. I’ve called the dive twice, both times was with a private DM so you would figure they wouldn’t mind and willingly oblige. While they did oblige, both times, the DM’s reaction was one of utter disappointment.

DB...

First and foremost...Any diver can call any dive at any time for any reason...

Having said that...I have to ask...why did you call the dive(s)...

Apprehension...because of depth...visibility...maybe jumping off a dive boat for the first time...maybe over-diving your current comfort and or training level...the list goes on...

Did it have to do with a chronic gear problem that isn't going to go away until it is corrected...

Only you can provide an answer...

I could go on...but I think you get the idea...additional training...spending time with a patient experienced diver...further discussions/coaching with your instructor...will all have their benefits...

Dive Safe...

Warren

DB...

Having said that...I have to ask...why did you call the dive(s)...

Apprehension...because of depth...visibility...maybe jumping off a dive boat for the first time...maybe over-diving your current comfort and or training level...the list goes on...

Did it have to do with a chronic gear problem that isn't going to go away until it is corrected...

Only you can provide an answer...

I could go on...but I think you get the idea...additional training...spending time with a patient experienced diver...further discussions/coaching with your instructor...will all have their benefits...

Dive Safe...

Warren

One time was due to getting seasick after the dive started. I tried to hold it in, and I know you can vomit into a rental reg, but what was the point? I felt so bad that the only thing I could focus on was getting out of the water and back onto the boat, and back on land! I had a private DM and husband/buddy with me. So this was an aborted dive, but I called the second dive as I was obviously not 100% that day.

The second time was due to swimming into current, so we could return with the current. I was swimming and swimming and swimming, and started to fall behind, then started having trouble breathing as I was overexerting, so I aborted that dive as well. Again, no other paying customer was affected. The DM was young and fit, and didn’t realize I was having trouble keeping up. I wasn’t the only diver who aborted that dive.

I can understand why on a drift dive a DM would force everyone up together; he/she needs to keep the group together, lest someone drifts away, whether underwater or on the surface.

What erks me is when I'm down to 70 bar, the level the DM said to signal to start the safety stop, and another diver ignores the safety stop signal and continues diving. I end up doing a safety stop, then hovering, then waiting on another safety stop.

I can imagine that you are frustrated when you have to call a dive for a stranger.
If its for someone you know it will be different but still your face might give away some dissapointment.

Its different in a emergency, but then its not realy calling a dive. Thats more like helping.

This oft repeated loaded statement bears a closer look. Any diver can call his/her own dive any time for any reason. Whether any diver can call a buddy’s, or a group’s, dive any time for any reason is another matter.

Much more difficult to answer that one.

Richard.

I was diving of the coast of N.C. this summer, I got paired up with an instabuddy and after about 15 mins into our first dive he signaled he wanted to go up. We were at about 40 feet. Inside I was pissed and disappointed but didnt show it and reassured him it wasn’t a problem. Turns out he had an anxiety attack and couldn’t catch his breath. I would much rather be disappointed on the boat with a diver that aborted, then riding back to shore with a body. I’m a believer in anyone can call a dive at anytime. It’s a bummer and no one likes it but it’s better then ending up in a diver accident report. Just goes to show it’s important to dive with like minded people you trust.

The issue of a person deciding on the boat (or shore) not to dive is easy. You can join up with others or go solo if you want.

The real issue is what to do when someone wants to abort during a dive. I think the answer is easy if you dive the buddy system. If your buddy aborts mid-dive it is because something is not right (low air, gear issue, bad conditions, or even just a generalized "not OK signal" with no clear cause). As their buddy, your job is to keep them alive. This means getting them safely not just to the surface but out of the water as well. Once that is done, you can return to the dive if possibl, and join the group or dive master, or finish out solo if you want to do that. But, a buddy in trouble has priority over the dive, every time. In my lifetime, this has happened to me, twice, and I stayed with my buddy until they were back on the boat, and then had the captain re-drop me so I could get whatever time diving there was left.

Tthere is no reason others should abort the dive, unless there is some special unusual situation where it would be necessary for safety reasons. Ocean drifting in high current is a good example of a possible need to keep the group together. Safety is always first.

I was diving of the coast of N.C. this summer, I got paired up with an instabuddy and after about 15 mins into our first dive he signaled he wanted to go up. We were at about 40 feet. Inside I was pissed and disappointed but didnt show it and reassured him it wasn’t a problem. Turns out he had an anxiety attack and couldn’t catch his breath.

It would be nice in such situations to have a commonly accepted communication that basically says 'I'm calling the dive, but can head back on my own, you do what you want' vs. 'Having some trouble, please let's go back together.'

Richard.

It would be nice in such situations to have a commonly accepted communication that basically says 'I'm calling the dive, but can head back on my own, you do what you want' vs. 'Having some trouble, please let's go back together.'

Richard.

I don't know how "common" it is, but I have done this in the past. Point to myself, signal going up, I'm ok, wave goodbye. If they try to follow, do a "shoo shoo" sort of motion, then bye and ok again. Depends on the buddy and the type of dive we are doing whether we continue on our own way or thumb the dive together. I wouldn't do that to someone less experienced but to someone I have lots of dives logged with sure.
Sometimes I'll also put my hands to my head like I am falling asleep - I'm tired of this I want out of here lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom