Calling a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
While everyone always says that anyone can call a dive for whatever reason, in practice, there’s definitely pressure not to. I’ve called the dive twice, both times was with a private DM so you would figure they wouldn’t mind and willingly oblige. While they did oblige, both times, the DM’s reaction was one of utter disappointment.

While everyone always says that anyone can call a dive for whatever reason, in practice, there’s definitely pressure not to. I’ve called the dive twice, both times was with a private DM so you would figure they wouldn’t mind and willingly oblige. While they did oblige, both times, the DM’s reaction was one of utter disappointment.

That's disappointing to hear. When I was diving earlier this year, one of the more experienced divers who was with our larger group (we were then split into skill subgroups) felt like he wasn't able to get his buoyancy the way he liked it and was just not happy with how he felt in the water, so he went back to the boat, and I really respected that. It made me feel better about the thought of maybe calling a dive myself in the future.

That might be one of the biggest (and most difficult) systems changes that should be made. I completely understand the desire to keep going (especially after paying for a likely expensive dive vacation) but divers and diver masters should be supportive of calling dives, no matter what the reason.

As someone who does a fair amount of tech diving off of boats, I will add that the hardest part of the dive is probably the combination of suiting up while sitting down and then trying to stand. Once you are standing, it is not as bad, but getting up from a seated position with all that heavy gear can be very difficult. Then you have to walk to the entry point wearing fins and all that heavy gear while the boat is rocking in the waves.

IMO, boat crews could generally do more to give some assistance during this phase of the dives.

What I really hate is when you're diving with a group of folks in buddy teams, and one person has an issue underwater and then expects EVERYONE to call the dive with them.

What I really hate is when you're diving with a group of folks in buddy teams, and one person has an issue underwater and then expects EVERYONE to call the dive with them.
Yes. Gee. How inconvenient.

Yes. Gee. How inconvenient.

You just leave them out there while your boat rushes the inconsiderate git to the hospital. Problem solved, everyone's happy.

I've got about 400 dives and that's never happened. I'm usually either solo or with known buddies, if it's a guided dive I'm under no obligation to surface just because someone else needs to abort.

Although I guess I did have this happen once a year or so back. Aldora Divers, in Cozumel. A group led by a DM, there was a youngster in the group, blew through his gas and we were all signaled to surface and end the drift dive (only the DM had a flag). I stayed below them to enjoy the reef for another 500 psi but the DM swam down to me got right in my face and signaled "UP!". I was pissed- at the costs of the Aldora dives and the inconvenience of the bigger heavier tank and the cost of Nitrox I expect to get what I paid for.

So I see your point.

A number of years ago, a diver had a problem at the beginning of a 3-person cave dive. One of the divers went with her the few feet back to where he could see her and the surface. She appeared to be doing fine on her ascent. He then returned to the other diver and continued the dive. When he and the other diver were done, they surfaced to find people working on the body of the third diver.

During the subsequent lawsuit (settled early), an expert witness for the plaintiff argued that when someone thumbs a dive, everyone on the dive is expected to end the dive at that time. He produced language to that effect in a manual.

That’s why I hire a private DM, to avoid having to dive with people like you. No one but my private DM, husband and I must ascend.

Hence, you’ve proven my point about pressure to not call a dive. Coming from a scuba instructor, even stronger proof.

So, a saying that we are taught and everybody says, but no one really means. That’s really confusing.

I think it’s called hypocrisy.

That’s why I hire a private DM, to avoid having to dive with people like you. No one but my private DM, husband and I must ascend...I think it’s called hypocrisy.

What do you mean people like "him" as if @sunnyboy is some sort of outcast and hypocrite because he'd prefer not to shorten a perfectly good dive because some stranger runs low on air or has to abort a dive for some reason. Diving is expensive, it takes a lot of time and effort to get there and most of us don't get to do it that often so when we do we want to maximize the experience. Here's this poor guy simply wanting to enjoy his diving without being inconvenienced by perfect strangers and@Dogbowl is treating him like some sort of insensitive moron and I saw at least one other derrogatory comment thrown in his direction as well.

I recall reading a book about divers who lost their lives on the Andrea Doria. In several cases, after the coast guard removed the body of the diver, several of the remaining divers continued diving and retrieved more china from the wreck. Does that make them insensitive morons too?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom