California Monterey Diver invades Tampa!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whats with you Conchs!? My friend Mike is planning a visit and the only posts here is from norcal fools who want to screw with him? I know you Conchs are more hospitable than that! Tracey, Pete, Jim, Joyce, Brian.etc. etc???

Mike's a very friendly Cali guy - he really took care of me last week on my first cold water dive & will be a future partner! What a generous sweetheart. :D!

But he really needs to dive some warm water!!!

Okay,I'm finally going to bed, I'm here in Apollo Beach in my mom's lovely home resting up from my flight. I have to wake up in 4 hours Florida time 6pm to get ready to drive up to Clearwater.

I have a boat trip scheduled with Captain Mike......Okay, going to bed and wish me luck for tomorrow.

Mike vs Gulf; wetsuit diving. Nuff said,,,,

Have a great time Mike!!! Hope your vis is great! Can't wait to hear your report :D!

Mike's a very friendly Cali guy - he really took care of me last week on my first cold water dive & will be a future partner! What a generous sweetheart. :D!

But je really needs to dive some warm water!!!

Have a great time Mike!!! Hope your vis is great! Can't wait to hear your report :D!

That Jerk called us Nor-Cal fools.....
What does that make him he is a Nor-Cal so and so.

I meant Brewski of course!!

Last edited:
Hey Brother there is a sink hole dive going on Saturday at Hudson Grotto I am going to try to make. They are having their annual Easter egg hunt. Its fun and will definately test your stress levels. The dive is dark and deep but a good dive for sure. Those that love it are a little twisted but I count myself in that group. You are welcome to go hit that dive weather I get up there or not. I'm sure there will be plenty of divers there to buddy up with but if I make I will dive with you for sure.

Clearwater report...

Let me start by letting you know the day was gorgeous for diving; sun out and ocean just turquoise in color.

The captain took us to dive the three Barges located in about 35+ feet of water. He gave us a great briefing and as we went down the anchor line it was zero to 1 foot of Viz.

I literally collided with the sand as I made my descent. I used my hand to feel the hull of the boat to circle around it, literally 1 foot of viz. Feeling with my hand was okay but in doing so I got snagged on a rusted fishing hook.

I was lucky I had my 4mm Kevlar gloves and it didn't penatrate my skin. I stayed in a small group with a master diver and another young diver that was new.

The young boy was using his hands a lot, very nervous following the lead diver and he knocked out my reg from my mouth. I had to stay calm and gently place my bungie reg in my mouth as I searched for my main reg.

I've never dove anything like this in Calif and was amazed on the amount of silt everywhere.

On our second dive the captain took us to a natural reef where viz was 2-3 feet of viz. I descended down the line as a solo diver since the Master diver was gone when I got down the line with the young diver.

I took some compass readings and stayed within vision of the anchor, it was nerve recking to plot my compass headings and play navigation only to think I was lost and then I would find the anchor.

I was in about 50 feet of water and I stayed there looking at the ground, suddenly after 3 minutes of hoovering, life appeared.

Each small silted rock had or contained a blue/tail damsel. And later larger fish appeared hidden next to the rocks. Gobies then started comming out as I flashed my light around.

I then got the attention of a large trigger fish when I removed my dive knife and split open a sea urchin. The dinner table was rung and life came out of no where, literally all sorts of critters and smaller fish devoured the insides of the urchin.

I was intriqued on how lifeless the bottom of the Gulf appears and then it changes at the blink of an eye, everything is hidden.

On a positive note, I was spoiled with the water being only 70 degrees on my computer. I dove my wetsuit fully with full hood and vest and was nice and comfortable the entire dive.

You do feel a little chill as I stayed hoovering in one spot for 30 minutes just watching the small damsel fish racing around his hidden home.

But as soon as you move your warmth comes back. Overall, I had a really great time with a unique type of dive. I'm hoping to dive Sat and maybe Sun.

MG

Mike I called captain Earl and am waiting for him to phone me back... Checked NOAA and we are looking a bit shady this weekend. Will know more when I chat with the captain. That said, Brandon has a trip going out Saturday NIGHT!!!!! :) It isn't too far from you and he is mega cool - I actually just drove to KeyLargo with him a couple of weeks ago. Anywhoozle, here is the link to his trip: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/greater-tampa-bay-area/279493-night-dive-april-11-bradenton.html

Mike those two charters we were just discussing are; Sandy's Sunday (Riviera Beach) and Loggerhead (Pompano). Personally, I'd phone and get viz reports from them then if both are good, map out which is closest to ya.

Will still call ya after I speak to Earl. :)

Mike those two charters we were just discussing are; Sandy's Sunday (Riviera Beach) and Loggerhead (Pompano). Personally, I'd phone and get viz reports from them then if both are good, map out which is closest to ya.

Will still call ya after I speak to Earl. :)

You Rock,

Thanks for all the feedback you have given me. I just got off the phone with Kevin from Boynton Beach. He helped me book a spot on his charter for Monday at 8am, it was the last spot available.

I'm so excited about getting a chance to dive the East coast. I will still wait for your phone call so I can see if I can dive Sat or Sun here on the Gulf side. I need at least one more dive so I can show the CA divers that the Gulf has some cool stuff.

Mike

Hi Mike! Sorry that Tuesday was all booked, but Kev will show you a great time on Monday. And hopefully, you'll enjoy warmer waters on the east coast than in the gulf, so leave your drysuit behind.

Hi Mike! Sorry that Tuesday was all booked, but Kev will show you a great time on Monday. And hopefully, you'll enjoy warmer waters on the east coast than in the gulf, so leave your drysuit behind.

Joyce,

I would've loved to have dove Tues with you and your group. Hopefully I can meet you and your group on another adventure day of diving. :D

MG
p.s
In the meantime since I cannot dive the Gulf, I am spending time with my nieces, Kyleigh and Haileigh; Kyleigh is three years old and Haileigh is 6 years old. Both of them saw me on the board posting and asked if they could get a picture on this thread. Here they are:

2ztga69.jpg

33xdd0y.jpg

30ruo1l.jpg

Hi Mike!

So glad you got in the water & saw some cool stuff! I had a great time with kevin - much more to see!

Too bad you cant meet Joyce & the crew -- they are really awesome people! But im sure you will have FUN!

Hey yall thanks for setting him up!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom