California Classifies Lead "Hazardous Material"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More laws to go after a very small percentage of users. The ones responsible for the most pollution will simply pay off the EPA/DEP etc. for permits that will allow them to continue.
All a bunch of feel good BS!

Twenty or so years ago the FDA had all sellers of raw oysters post a warning about vibrio vulnificus, a bacteria that can be deadly to persons with compromised immune systems. The warning appears on the menu of restaurants that serve raw oysters. Because of this many restaurants quit serving raw oysters for liability reasons.
About 15 people die every year from vibro vulnuificus. Last year the FDA decided to save these 15 people who either disregard the warning or are too dumb to understand it by mandating all oysters be pasteurized. This would cost the oyster industry millions of dollars for equipment to meet the requirement and also alter the taste of the fresh raw oyster.
Fortunately, contrary to what California might have done, oyster producing states managed to convince the FDA not not to go forward with the regulations. One small victory for common sense.

My dive op in the Med told me that lead diving weights are being banned in Europe and in a few years we will have to use steel weights.

I would think that people who worked in the dive industry and have to handle lead with frequency, may appreciate this California law.

I would think that people who worked in the dive industry and have to handle lead with frequency, may appreciate this California law.

Are people who balance tires and handle lead weights keeling over left and right from lead poisoning.

Are people who balance tires and handle lead weights keeling over left and right from lead poisoning.

Lead poisoning isn't going to cause you to keel over and dry all of a sudden one day. It doesn't work like that.

It causes developmental problems in children. It is one of the theories on why the Roman Empire collapsed.

Google lead poisoning and the CDC, NIH, the Mayo Clinic and, your favorite, the EPA all have a lot of info on lead poisoning.

Were those same people keeling over and dying from breathing the asbestos dust from the brakes? NO, but long term exposure is well known to not be good for a person.

Being an automotive technician I am glad they banned asbestos, even though it is a far superior material for the job. I guarantee I have a fair amount of asbestos dust lodged in my lungs :shocked2:

If you haven't noticed people are dying of cancer and other carcinogen related things more and more. The birth rate of children with autism has risen sharply. More kids are diagnosed with ADD and other life challenging issues these days, than in the past.

Would you like to have a DDT conversation too?

OSHA also said the employer must pay for safety equipment. Included in that are the nitrile gloves that the vast majority of mechanics now wear.

And, as Peter stated, that's not how lead poisoning shows up. It causes brain damage in children.

Lead compounds such as paints, liquids and vapors can be a real problem. In the US the lead background exposure from historical uncontrolled smelting, lead paints, and leaded gasoline among others is actually quite high by some measures. But testing of children has shown that unless ingested is not a problem. Ingestion is where paints made prior to 1968 are the problem, with white and yellow colors being the worst.

Metallic lead is not an issue as it is very stable and develops an oxide quickly which is insoluble. You don't see them digging up Gettysburg or any other battle site which has tons of lead bullets in it as the lead is not migratory in the soil.

So, banning of metallic lead is over reaction, but a Regulatory Official never makes his/her bones by not regulating. There is a case in Colorado where the EPA found a lot of insoluble lead in mine tailings on which homes were built. The EPA stated that all the homes would need to be evacuated and the whole neighborhood "cleaned" up to protect the children. Unfortunately, for the EPA, there were a number of doctors who lived in this neighborhood and started to do some of their own research. The result was that a review of over 30 years of standard blood test on children from that neighborhood showed no elevation of blood lead levels when compared to other, non-contaminated areas. ABC did a story on this in a series of shows called "Bad Science."

Other heavy metals of concern are nickel and chrome. Chrome for instance is found as metallic chrome, chrome +3, and chrome +6.

Chrome +6 is a known human carcinogen.
Chrome +3 is a required trace metal for good health
Chrome metal is on every Harley you see on the street and is known to be harmless (the guy riding the Harley might not be harmless).

So, should we ban all chrome like lead due to the problems with chrome +6? When will I see the EPA running down the street after every Harley they see?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom