California Beach Diver looking to relocate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lock_washer

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for some help...
I am an active Southern California beach diver who is getting "fed up" with the quality of life here in California. I spent the last 30 years diving here locally so I am use to surf entry and exits, long surface swims, coldwater, and limited visibility. I am interested in moving somewhere on the east coast, gulf coast where I can shore dive on a year round basis. The tropics and boat trips are great...but I cut my teeth on shore diving. Any ideas for places in the U.S. for year round shore diving?..and better quality of life?

Thanks,

Lock Washer

Kauai.

Dave

Gee, lock_washer... was it something we said?

Agree that the quality of life in SoCal has deteriorated over the last 30-40 years. Fortunately Catalina has not gotten as bad as the mainland.

Well Kauai and Catalina Island sound nice... Unfortunately they are out of my income level.

The Carolina are a pretty nice place to live & the cost of living is reasonable. There are a lot of wrecks off the coast also with year round diving. My brother moved there from NY & loves it.

John

Huh...the carolinas don't sound bad. But isn't the cost of living going up in Florida due the home insurance increase?

Florida and NC living can't be more expensive than living in SoCal. If you're going to live near the free diving you'll have to give up something. I've been looking at locations in the Florida Eastern panhandle.

from what I know about the Carolinas - it is only summer diving and only by boat, no shore diving.
I think you would be surprised at the cost of living difference between Calif and Fla. As a Florida girl for many years (and UF graduate) I found it very cheap but the downside is that the pay is low as well. And remember that the farther north and/or inland you go, the cheaper. There is a huge dive group over on the Florida board here and they go out diving all year long and plan group trips weekly. YOu might want to chat with some of them to get the scoop.

robint

Back
Top Bottom