Calgarian suing diver training organization

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you have misread the article. Carbon Dioxide is found in air typically as a result of a faulty filtration system, or faulty compressor. The average Joe has little ability to test for this, unless he acquires a CO analyzer... and they aren't cheap. I have an Analox unit and I think it cost about $500.

I don't test my tanks for CO when I get my gas from my usual shop since he has an inline CO monitor and I am typically standing there while my tanks are filling. I do however, take the thing (along with my Nitrox analyzer) whenever I go away and get gas from an unfamiliar shop.
It's common to confuse these terms, so to prevent additional confusion...

Carbon Dioxide or CO2 is not much of a risk

Carbon Monoxide or CO is the risk we're discussing.

I think the Analox portable EII CO Carbon Monoxide Analyzer tester runs around $350 USD, altho I see a Sears store wanting $580?! Do they cost more up there?

This lawsuit will not survive summary judgment motion to dismiss. No training can protect you from the effects of bad fill stations - and PADI does not license fill stations.

Co poisoning is a cumulative effect. You can die if you breathe enough CO at a low concentration or die if you breathe a high concentration for a short amount of time. CO kills you by binding to the hemoglobin cells in your blood. It prevents the hemoglobin from absorbing oxygen.

My feeling is: Why should hundreds or thousands of divers buy and use CO detectors? It would be so much cheaper for the dive ship filling the bottled to have a CO detector. It could even be a money maker for the dive shop. I'd happily pay a little more for my fills if the dive shop offered CO detection as an optional extra.

Regards,

Bert

Co poisoning is a cumulative effect. You can die if you breathe enough CO at a low concentration or die if you breathe a high concentration for a short amount of time. CO kills you by binding to the hemoglobin cells in your blood. It prevents the hemoglobin from absorbing oxygen.

My feeling is: Why should hundreds or thousands of divers buy and use CO detectors? It would be so much cheaper for the dive ship filling the bottled to have a CO detector. It could even be a money maker for the dive shop. I'd happily pay a little more for my fills if the dive shop offered CO detection as an optional extra.

Regards,

Bert

I agree with you. In addition to an in-line CO monitor with an automatic shutoff, it would be awesome if shops have a hand-held CO analyzer, just like they often have an O2 analyzer for customers to use.

Personally, I think it sets a dangerous precedent if the onus gets placed on customers to ensure their gas is CO free. It should be up to the establishment providing the fills to ensure that the product they are providing is exactly what they represent it to be: safe, life-sustaining gas.

Personally, I think it sets a dangerous precedent if the onus gets placed on customers to ensure their gas is CO free. It should be up to the establishment providing the fills to ensure that the product they are providing is exactly what they represent it to be: safe, life-sustaining gas.

I agree in theory, but in practice the risk to the establishment providing the fills is legal action, while the risk to the customer is their life.

I think it should be dive shop to dive shop as well. Shops could advertise the fact that they were CO testing their tanks. Show the divers on the boat the same way any reputable shop using nitrox will. Whether the tool is 300 or 500$ is insignificant. Add a few $ onto the cost of a two tank dive. Im sure being able to have the peace of mind would attract more than a enough divers to cover this cost.

Just a thought.

I think it should be dive shop to dive shop as well. Shops could advertise the fact that they were CO testing their tanks. Show the divers on the boat the same way any reputable shop using nitrox will. Whether the tool is 300 or 500$ is insignificant. Add a few $ onto the cost of a two tank dive. Im sure being able to have the peace of mind would attract more than a enough divers to cover this cost.

Just a thought.
A few dollars? Even if a boat only took out 6 divers/trip, 4 days/week, 4 months/year - that'd be 412 trips. Pay for a tester with less than $1/trip first year. Yeah, they all should furnish them, but we are a long ways from that.

This lawsuit will not survive summary judgment motion to dismiss. No training can protect you from the effects of bad fill stations - and PADI does not license fill stations.

It might not be that clear.

PADI certifies "5 star" dive facilities, and the rating is commonly used to indicate a high level of quality.

A diver could easily assume that non-poisonious air would be available and I could also see a long and expensive legal battle with an uncertain outcome.

PADI certifies "5 star" dive facilities, and the rating is commonly used to indicate a high level of quality.

A diver could easily assume that non-poisonious air would be available and I could also see a long and expensive legal battle with an uncertain outcome.
I do hope Padi learns from their experience.

Worse is a jury could. A jury that doesn't know that a five star rating is no indication of quality since there are no other star ratings like a three or four star. All the rating is based on in essence is revenue. Shops agree to only cert through PADI, and only offer PADI classes and sell PADI materials. Quality is only implied by using a misleading rating. There is no guarantee the shop is a quality operation.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom