Calgarian suing diver training organization

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont recall the tasting and smelling of the air being specific for detecting CO either in the course, but rather smell and taste being a warning that you should definetly leave the tank be unused..

Of course its about the money. PADI is included because they are the only possible source of big money. Makes me ill to see this type of lawsuit filed.
How much has he got to win to get his wife back...?

Some of us would rather go Rambo on the compressor owner, but he is taking the legal route allowed.

It's amazing how some of the other issues here are being completely avoided in this thread. Does anyone else have an issue with the fact that HE didn't feel that something was right and HE left his wife at the bottom of the ocean??? Hmmm... Lets see what else. Did they have a refresher done prior to their vacation??? 200 dives over that may years is not keeping their skills current. PADI does state after their training it is the responsibility of the diver to maintain their skills to keep themselves safe...

Also, with the issue of having a portable gas detector. I work in the oil and gas industry and it's easy to say they will keep you safe, but there are rules to follow. How many lay people know the rules and regulations for these pieces of equipment?? Anyone know that they are required to be tested before each use... So how many of you who claim to use one of the perform a true CO bump check ?? So do all of you have a gas cylinder of a known CO level to test with prior to testing your air??? When was the last time you sent your detectors out for a professional calibration to ensure that it is actually reading proper levels?? Most people won't do it so truly it is a false hope that these will keep you safe. If you do, then I commend you!

The fact that the dive shop is no longer a member of PADI shows that after PADI's investigation, they were found to be not following the guide lines set forth by PADI standards.

The truth is the ONLY way to dive safely is not to dive at all and for me that will never happen.

Excerpting...
It's amazing how some of the other issues here are being completely avoided in this thread. Does anyone else have an issue with the fact that HE didn't feel that something was right and HE left his wife at the bottom of the ocean???
He? The husband was not on the trip.

Anyone know that they are required to be tested before each use... So how many of you who claim to use one of the perform a true CO bump check ?? So do all of you have a gas cylinder of a known CO level to test with prior to testing your air??? When was the last time you sent your detectors out for a professional calibration to ensure that it is actually reading proper levels??
Yes, I test mine before use. Blowing on the sensor shows that it responds - that's all it takes to make sure it's responding to CO. No, I can't carry a bottle of CO Calgas on planes, but if the sensor responds as working, then dial in the calibration. If you have not taken one diving, this may not be obvious. I send mine tester in annually for factory calibration.

not sure if this point was raised, but doesn't anyone have an issue with this statements? it appears they were diving together yet the two surfaced and left her alone, no buddy...i think PADI, and any agency out there makes a very strong point about not diving alone

so what is the husband going to do about that? he maintains she was an experienced diver, why didn't she surface with the other two?

yes, i know some of you in SB chose to dive solo, its not the point i'm getting at here tho

Ronda Cross was diving with her cousin and a certified dive master near Cabo San Lucas when she failed to surface last Saturday.

"I didn't feel like I was getting enough air, but the reason I surfaced was I couldn't clear my mask," she said.
Amundson says her cousin appeared fine when she and the dive master surfaced together, so she shrugged it off as being a new diver.

"Search for a minute, surface and look for the missing buddy?"

The fact that the dive shop is no longer a member of PADI shows that after PADI's investigation, they were found to be not following the guide lines set forth by PADI standards.

where did you get that from?

if you do a search on the PADI site comes right up
Dive Cabo. Your scuba diving center in Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos, Mexico

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2014 at 05:51 PM ----------

"Search for a minute, surface and look for the missing buddy?"

i am aware of that, how does it apply in this case?

"She wasnt diving solo, she was lost" (remember, this is lawyers going at eachothers, not divers)

"She wasnt diving solo, she was lost" (remember, this is lawyers going at eachothers, not divers)

i'm sorry, i must have missed that, i read the three articles, where does it say she was lost?

The articles might not, but if one lawyer is trying to turn her into a solo diver, you can bet your ass the other one will find any way (like making her lost) to make sure she was NOT solo diving..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom