Cabo san Lucas in February - what should I expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cabo water in feb will most likely be in the high 60s. I remember wearing a 5mm and a hood and was fine, and I am a warm water wuss. You could even wear a vest under it. I just got back from Cabo and only did one day due to the hurricane and all. Lots of eels, puffers, bull's eye wrays, and parrot fish. Lots of tropicals, some coral and if you're lucky you'll get buzzed by a sea lion. The visibility was 20 to 25 feet due to the hurricane approaching but the vis in feb is usually better (50 to 60), plus feb the whales will be in town!
have fun

I'll be heading to Cabo san Lucas in late February 2008 and plan to do some diving. I've read that I'll need my cold water wetsuit to dive there during that time of year. I've also read that, while there might not be any corals, there are lost of large animals migrating through the area.

My questions are: What should I expect for conditions? What should I expect to see/do? and, Any operators you would suggest?

Thanks!!! :D

Hayman - I'll be in Cabo then too, about 2/9-15 or so; feel free to PM or email me if you want to coordinate some spots. I'd love to do Pulma/Pulmo, so if they have a minimum for the boats let's check that out....
I'm going mainly for my gf - wants to see baby turtles and whales, but doesn't dive. I must dive everywhere I go.

cheers,
t

Hayman - I'll be in Cabo then too, about 2/9-15 or so; feel free to PM or email me if you want to coordinate some spots. I'd love to do Pulma/Pulmo, so if they have a minimum for the boats let's check that out....
I'm going mainly for my gf - wants to see baby turtles and whales, but doesn't dive. I must dive everywhere I go.

cheers,
t

Thanks for the offer, but I'll be there the week after you. :(
You'll have to let me know how the conditions were when you get back! :D

A five mm suit with hood will work fine.There are soft corals, sea fans, blooming corals,and hundreds of species of tropical fish just five mins from the Scuba docks.I have seen schools of small bait fish that block out the sun at Peligan rock.We have seen everything from Sea horses to Hammerhead sharks at Neptunes Finger.
I Dive with Baja Dive in The tesoro Hotel on the marina. Baja Dive

Thanks for the info. I am staying at the RIU in Jan and was planning on bringing a 3mm. I dive out in British Columbia waters in a dry suit so may be ok in 3mm or am I dreaming. aedavidson you say do not dive with the RIU shop- who do you recommend.

You might contact vista sea sports in East Cape...which is about 30 minutes north of Cabo and on the sea of Cortez. They seem to be really honest and have given me some good information. I will be down there in a couple of weeks and yes Feb is cold water. Fall is the warmest time for the water.

TJ I put some info in a recent trip in the Mexico forum. In a nutshell, Pulmo and Grand Banks are places to go but when I went in 2nd week of Jan it was too windy in the area and very few repuable dive companies are heading out. Expect to pay $150+ if you are in Cabo area. Local Cabo diving is so so, not very interesting and by all means stay away from the "sand falls" trip. I did go diving their because- well I was there so I dived. I went with two differnt companies. Manta was the first, good company and good exquipment and boat but felt like I was a business comodity. Second company was Eagle Divers. Very small company but great divemaster, even though dive not so interesting had a lot of fun with them. They work with beginner and advanced divemasters. Good luck on trip and email if you have more questions.

WATER TEMP NOW IS 68 VIS WAS 45 FEET LOTS TO SEE WE SAW A SCHOOL OF MANTAS AT LANDS END AND THE SEA LIONS COLONY WAS VERY ACTIVE.
SECOND DIVE WE SAW A THRESHER SHARK AT NEPTUNES FINGER
WE DOVE WITH BAHA DIVE LOCATED ON THE MARINA BOAEDWALK IN THE TESORO RESORT BIG BOAT SMALL GROUPS GREAT CREW CONTACT THEM AT Baja Dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom