Cabo Pulmo/La Paz vs. Socorro liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disco King, what boat are you going on. I'm heading out on the Nautilus Bel Ami on the 29th
Hi there, I went on Nautilus Explorer, Jan 2019. I stayed 3 days in CSL. Had a day trip to La Paz for swim with whale shark. It was great (although visiabilty was poor there were so many). I heard good things about Bel Ami (the same operator but I believe it is more luxurious than Explorer). Please let me know if you need any info.

Disco King, what boat are you going on. I'm heading out on the Nautilus Bel Ami on the 29th

I just posted a trip report and video from my trip on Belle Amie. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions. You will love the boat and Socorro.

Hi there, I went on Nautilus Explorer, Jan 2019. I stayed 3 days in CSL. Had a day trip to La Paz for swim with whale shark. It was great (although visiabilty was poor there were so many). I heard good things about Bel Ami (the same operator but I believe it is more luxurious than Explorer). Please let me know if you need any info.

Will do, thanks!

We did both last March.

Cabo Pulmo is a great little town with good diving. You'll see mostly fish with a possibility of bull sharks at a couple of sites. You can get there for a day trip with some of the dive ops in Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo, but best bet is to rent a car. You can do La Paz in the same trip but again, you'll need a car. A five day dive trip to Cabo Pulmo is a bit short IMO but certainly doable.

Socorro on the other hand is where you go to see sharks, mantas, dolphins and occasionally whales. It's a 28 hour trip from SJD to the islands so 5 days is out of the question. Liveaboards go for 8 or 9 days. Costs around $3500 US for the liveaboard unless you get a deal, but it's worth it.
We were surrounded by bull sharks......like 10 of them for over 30 minutes! This was a El Vencidor wreck in CP.

We were surrounded by bull sharks......like 10 of them for over 30 minutes! This was a El Vencidor wreck in CP.
Wow! Looking forward to seeing them on my next trip to Mexico. I heard there is a mobula spot in Cabo Pulmo. Have you gotten any local info for seeing mobula in Cabo Pulmo? How was water temp on March? I am thinking to go there during mobula season this year (April - June).

Wow! Looking forward to seeing them on my next trip to Mexico. I heard there is a mobula spot in Cabo Pulmo. Have you gotten any local info for seeing mobula in Cabo Pulmo? How was water temp on March? I am thinking to go there during mobula season this year (April - June).
Our place is way up on the mountain just above Cabo and in June we sit and watch the mobula jump by the 100's out of the water in the afternoon setting sun. Last June was the best I've seen! Here is a little video I put together from last June. At the end you will see us surrounded by mobulas. There is some deep dive from the Neptunes finger in the bay and sharks of Cabo Pulmo. Hope this helps.

Our place is way up on the mountain just above Cabo and in June we sit and watch the mobula jump by the 100's out of the water in the afternoon setting sun. Last June was the best I've seen! Here is a little video I put together from last June. At the end you will see us surrounded by mobulas. There is some deep dive from the Neptunes finger in the bay and sharks of Cabo Pulmo. Hope this helps.

Great. Thanks! Do you usually see Mobulas every June in Cabo Pulmo? How is water temperature?

Great. Thanks! Do you usually see Mobulas every June in Cabo Pulmo? How is water temperature?
Ironically the water temperatures are warmer in winter, than in summer. Dependng on depth in June plan for 60-73 degree water temps.

Back
Top Bottom