C53

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is a rhetorical question for ggun but I wish to answer. I enjoy wreck, reef and cenote/cave but in no way would I “have fantastic dives on the dead reef.” For one thing, my eyes would be too full of tears.

I have to ask, do you really dive “dead reefs” and enjoy it?
Yes it is a rhetorical question. I dive a lot in the St. Lawrence Seaway. Not much life on those rock walls yet I enjoy those dives just as much as I enjoy diving in Cozumel. I just enjoy scuba diving.

Let me ask in a different way. Do you think that people that enjoy all types of diving enjoy diving more than people that only want to dive on reefs?

I suppose a lot of people had a hard time diving after Wilma. I also suppose that there were people that didn’t have any problem at all diving after Wilma.

Anyone can answer the question. I’m just thinking out loud.

Not sure how to answer that...If my only option for diving was a cold, dark puddle, I probably wouldn't dive much. On the other hand, I DO love diving enough to take large chunks of time and drop large chunks of money to dive in beautiful places as often as I can. Do I love diving as much as you do?? Who knows...If I see the physical act of diving as a means to an end as opposed to an end in and of itself, does it mean I love "diving" less? IDK...I know I have a lot of fun. :)

Not sure how to answer that...If my only option for diving was a cold, dark puddle, I probably wouldn't dive much. On the other hand, I DO love diving enough to take large chunks of time and drop large chunks of money to dive in beautiful places as often as I can. Do I love diving as much as you do?? Who knows...If I see the physical act of diving as a means to an end as opposed to an end in and of itself, does it mean I love "diving" less? IDK...I know I have a lot of fun. :)
But that isn't enjoying diving. It's enjoying telling, or showing people that you have large chunks of money, isn't it?

But that isn't enjoying diving. It's enjoying telling, or showing people that you have large chunks of money, isn't it?
You just don’t get it. Why the concern if one dives this site or that? Warm water or ice diving. Open water or cave. Wreck or reef. Its about the pure joy of diving what you love. Some have specific preferences. Why the judgement?

If the idea of posting is to help the OP then what is the point of bashing the C53? I see more negative posts than helpful ones. The name of the thread is C53 so what’s the point of even reading it if you don’t like the C53?

I suppose a lot of people had a hard time diving after Wilma. I also suppose that there were people that didn’t have any problem at all diving after Wilma.
I dove Cozumel right after Wilma and I enjoyed it thoroughly. What's your point?

Who says I have more money than anyone else? Maybe you have tons of dough, but aren't willing to use your means or time to dive in nice places. It means I'm willing to prioritize diving enough to spend my hard earned funds and precious time (everyone's time is precious IMHO) in order to do something I enjoy. Why does that mean I love diving less than someone who takes an afternoon to hop in a local quarry? Nothing wrong with that, lots of folks enjoy it, just not my cup of tea. My point is how someone chooses to enjoy the sport doesn't necessarily speak to how much they "love" it. Like many things about diving there are lots of differing circumstances and conditions and SB is a worldwide audience. Dive and let dive. Be safe & enjoy. :)

Dear Depsea21,

When I say double the dive time per tank, I am referring to the "average diver", of whom we get a lot. I have no doubt that you or some others can get hour + long dives on an aluminum 80, especially if your dive op starts at 80 ft or less and lets you swim away from the group—or maybe you are a super diver. But I know for a fact that all of our divers, new and experienced, average more than 1 hour 10 minutes per tank ( I check our DMs computers).

And yes, that is possible even though we keep our groups together until the end of the dive. In 1992 I felt that keeping the group together is manifestly safer than allowing divers to surface willy nilly. Oncoming boats, depending on unknown dive buddies…if you surface and have a problem would the average person want to have a professional at hand. I still feel that way and I don't ever want dead divers.

A recent trip report here by jfarmlaw described many dives on a trip with Aldora that averaged 1 hour 29 minutes per tank. That was all while keeping the groups together and included dives to Maricaibo, Punta Sur and other dives as normal for our first dives and of course shallower second dives. Of course our 2 hour surface interval on the beach helps to enjoy world class second dives

Many dive ops limit time diving, especially the cattle boat operators who provide maybe 45-50 minutes per tank overall. In that case, yes we do deliver twice the dive time per tank…that is a fact.

And finally, if you count the dive time per tank (for the average divers) our cost per hour of diving is much less than many others.

If this is self promotion, call it that way, but I have never lied here and don't intend to start now.

Dave Dillehay
'Aldora Divers
My son and I dived with you and it was fantastic. But, 50% more gas, 50% more dive time at the same consumption rate.

Is there not a lot of marine life at this wreck? The video above doesn't have a lot of critters. I realize that the amount of life can change, but sounds like, generally, there is not a lot of life at the C53?

I dove one of the wrecks off Cancun (C55 or C58, the one that's more disintegrated), and there was a ton of life on it. Several groups of Eagle rays in transit, lionfish, tons of grunts, etc etc.

My main reason for diving is critters, but I also like wrecks, so I am hopeful the C53 provides both (the one I did by Cancun was not much of a wreck at all, as it was not even recognizable as a boat, but the critters were top notch)
The C56, Juan Escutia, off Puerto Morelos, is a fine wreck. We had a squadron of Eagle Rays, many fish, and good swim thoughs

I'm not sure what you are driving at. If all the reefs were all dead and wreck diving were all there was, that would be different and I do not know if i would continue diving. Fortunately (and for the time being), such is not the case in the waters around Cozumel.

If all the reefs were dead and devoid of life I certainly wouldn't be diving anymore. What's the point at that point? If that day comes I can save a lot of money walking around my local junk yard looking at old man made things rusting away. I dove Key Largo several years ago and witnessed a pretty much dead reef. I certainly won't be diving there again. They can sink all the ships they want on that dead reef in the future but it won't attract me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom