C-Card Recognition: Myth or Fact?

Were you ever denied a service or boat ride based upon C-card brand?

• Yes, I have been denied a service or trip based upon brand.

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • No, I have never been denied a service or trip based upon brand.

Votes: 28 16.4%
  • I have never had problems based upon brand, but had problems based upon the rating on the card.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I have never had any problems having a C-card accepted.

Votes: 127 74.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One Op employee didn't think a Tec c-card w/100% o2 rating was good enough for Nitrox...he was overridden by his boss. Aside from that, no issues

I would love to hear the conversation after that between them :p

all mine have been local dives either shore or boat -- only get asked to see the nitrox card when getting fills really but I book the boats thru the shop -- at most then have to fill out the info on the waiver.

Trying to look at it from the dive op.'s perspective, I've got a question:

Is there an online webpage, or industry listing, of certification agencies deemed to be legitimate?

There have been threads about a non-credible 'agency' issuing cards in the past, and I imagine there's a risk such will prey on the gullible. This creates a liability hazard for the dive op. should a mishap occur. And for 'go to their web page and look at them,' a pretty web page can be had without being a legitimate agency.

Richard.

I've seen a few threads on topics similar to that in the past year. My understanding is there's no official list, no "licensing" board that allows certification agencies to issue cards. An agencies' credibility exists strictly in the mind of the person deciding to take a particular card or not. Some shops (based on those other posts I mentioned) do have a list for their fill guys to use. Nothing exists to stop me from going and printing some "Kelemvor's C-Cards" that say I'm certified for everything from open water to diving in hot lava with a snorkel on my mask. I bet there are operators that care little enough that they might actually take it. Some others wouldn't. Big agencies like PADI, NAUI, SSI have an advantage of being popular enough that most people have heard of them and would accept a card with their name on it.

I've occasionally gotten a quizzical look when I've shown my Rescue card from WASE/NASI, but I've never been turned down because of it. There was one time the look was particularly quizzical, so to avoid a hassle I pulled out my PADI AOW card, and the look went away.

He probably read NAZI instead of NASI and that woulda made me look "quizzical" too :p

I'm familiar with WASI / NASE ( Dive Lessons and Scuba Diving Instruction - NASE Worldwide ), but not WASE / NASI. Presumably typo.

Yes, that was a tyop.

As opposed to many respondents, I have always, or nearly always, been ask to show my C-card. This includes when filling out a liability release that includes certification agency and number. I'm always very surprised when folks say they are routinely not asked to show proof of appropriate certification
We must just look guilty all the time.
Small shops seem not to care too much, especially when all of the diving I've done is private and not organized through a store. When you walk in to fill a whole bunch of tanks it's usually a safe bet someone is certified. Most of the time they still ask, but it seems smaller shops are the ones that sometimes won't.

I was just at a shop in Central FL where no cert card was requested. I think it might have had to do with my request to purchase a replacement LP hose followed by me changing it out :D. Never again will I buy miflex...

Yes, that was a tyop.
I see what you did there!

Which probably is the reason why I've heard about ops around here who are just fine renting a drysuit to someone with a domestic OW (or equivalent) cert, but require either a dry suit specialty card or a logbook documenting DS dives before they're willing to rent a DS to someone with a C-card issued abroad

That's what happened with me in Helsinki, they realized my Full Cave done in the UK was probably not done in a wetsuit :p
I think people have to use their common sense as well, not just have a fixed rule.

I think people have to use their common sense as well, not just have a fixed rule.

Now that would be a good "specialty"....

Reactions: BRT
I have run into the the 'knowledge ceiling' where the operation/staff didn't know much above what they were doing. Almost didn't get to go out on one trip because I didn't have my AOW, I only had my Tech Cave and Trimix cards. I have also had issues using Trimix card for Nitrox. At first it annoyed me immensely, but I came to realize that it was silly for me to try and require everyone to understand the complete spectrum, so now I just carry the AOW and Nitrox cards with the others.

On tech charters, I have definitely gotten the scrutiny if I wasn't with a 'know' group. And some cave sites won't let you dive without a card.

At the end of the day, I have never been shut out, but it has taken more conversation or someone 'vouching' for me than I would have expected.

In my wallet, I had a PDIC solo instructor card, a GUE Tech 1 card,

I hope you kept them separated :wink:

One time in the Caribbean I produced my BSAC qualification book with 2nd class (CMAS 3*) in it. The guy behind the desk didn't know what to do and started to ask if I wanted to do an advanced course. His boss pushed him out of the way saying he could learn a thing or two from a BSAC 2nd Class Diver. The poor man then had to call the checkout dive when I still had 100bar left.

The only card I have is for nitrox everything else is in my logbook.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom