C-5050 malfunction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Today I took 3 photos with my C-5050 when the monitor went blank. I tried to view the pics but nothing would show. I turned it off, changed batteries thinking they had suddenlly died but that wasn't it. All info shows on the LCD screen on the top but nothing on the monitor. I tried the Quick View in case it had been pushed. Even the OK/menu button doesn't bring anything up. I traded cards to Beasts camera and the pics I took show up fine there so it's not the Viking card.

Is the monitor toast or did I inadvertently push something? Any ideas before I email Oly then call Tuesday?

Dee:
Is the monitor toast or did I inadvertently push something? Any ideas before I email Oly then call Tuesday?
If you open the memory card door then power up the camera do you get anything on the viewfinder?

ReyeR:
If you open the memory card door then power up the camera do you get anything on the viewfinder?

No...nothing. The screen on top shows a flashing -0- but that's it.

Dee:
No...nothing. The screen on top shows a flashing -0- but that's it.
Try pulling out the viewfinder into its various angled positions and trying what I said earlier.
If it still doesn't work then I can't think of anything but sending it back to the garage :banghead:.

No...still nothing! I've taken the batteries out and will try again in a couple of hours. I figure that's the first thing the Oly techs are gonna ask me.

Thanks for the ideas but I think it's dead!

Dee:
No...still nothing! I've taken the batteries out and will try again in a couple of hours. I figure that's the first thing the Oly techs are gonna ask me.

Thanks for the ideas but I think it's dead!

Dee, I'm so sorry that I broke your camera. You see it was after Dee took a picture of me in a Dee Rag that it stop working. My ego is really bruised now. :sad:

Dee, should I buy another Dee Rag to help you replace your camera? :)

LOL...good thing I only got your head. it may have just blown up if I'd gotten all of you in the frame! :eyebrow:

DiverG:
Dee, should I buy another Dee Rag to help you replace your camera? :)

That would help but I think you should just give me your 5050 since you broke mine! You know what they say....you break it, you buy it! :D

Dee, I'm not very optimistic about this but you can try one more thing - Hard Reset. Because you can't see the menu you'll need to do this 'blind' and follow the button presses exactly:
With the camera switched OFF:
  • flick the mode dial to P
  • don't forget to take the lens cap off!
  • open the card door
  • switch the camera ON
  • wait a couple of seconds after the lens extends then hold the OK and QUICK VIEW button down simultaneously for 5 seconds
  • press the down arrow key twice (to select the RESET menu item)
  • press the OK button. You should hear a beep
  • wait 5 seconds then shut the card door
  • switch the camera OFF
  • flick the switch to PLAY (green arrow)
  • switch the camera ON
Do you see anything?

I followed your directions exactly, I head the beeps in the right places but nothing ever showed on the screen. Thanks for trying! I'll be calling Oly tomorrow.

Dee:
I followed your directions exactly, I head the beeps in the right places but nothing ever showed on the screen. Thanks for trying! I'll be calling Oly tomorrow.
Keep us informed, I hope we don't have to go to a funeral.

Back
Top Bottom