Bypass a Back Inflate and go to BPW instead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m looking to replace my jacket BCD with a back inflate or a BPW. I’ve tried a few back inflates like the Zeagle Stilletto but I feel like I will eventually want to a BPW. I’d rather buy once cry once as opposed to buying a back inflate now and in a few months want something else.

At this time I don’t have any plans outside of rev diving limits but I hate bulk. The items I carry don’t warrant something with tons of pockets so I’d be fine with d-rings for attaching what I do use: light, octo, SMB, whistle etc.

I was looking at the Hog model and felt like it might be a good place to start. Unfortunately, none of the LDS really carry or push any kind of backplate set ups. I’m sure it’s just not profitable enough and the clientele may be limited. Since I’m not planning to do tech, do you think it’s a wise move for me to jump into a backplate or would I be better served with a back inflate?

I’d be able to answer this myself if I could try a back plate system out but I’m limited to trying what the shops use and rent.
Yes, go straight to the BP/W. The back inflate jacket BC only fixes one of the problems with your regular jacket BC (moves the lift to the back where it belongs), but does not address the other problems (floppyness, too much material, plastic hardware, pull tabs everywhere, permanent pockets in useless locations, "weight" pockets designed to throw away your weights to the bottom of the sea nd send you rocketing to the surface, etc.) I made the mistake of "upgrading" from a stab jacket to a stab jacket with an air bladder on the back about 20 years ago (after having made the mistake of buying that first jacket), made like 10 dives with it over the course of a few months, and then invested in a real BP/W setup (and sold the rear inflating jacket for 30% of what I paid for it)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom