Buying Used Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue982

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm planning on buying some used steel tanks. Is there anything I need to be on the lookout for?

I know:
- Visual is required every year (marked on a sticker).
- Hydro required every five years (stamped on the tank).

But other than that I know very little about markings, certifications and such. For example: might I run into tanks without a cert from the DOT? Would this cause me problems? If so, how do I spot it?

Here are some ideas:

-ideally there should be air in the tank, so you know there is less of a chance of it having sat empty and rusted.

-if there is no air, knock the valve off and have a look for rust. At any rate, have your offer dependent on the tank passing the vis and hydro if you can.

-DOT and/or TC markings are required in US/Canada AFAIK. Decode your tank here or here

It is possible for someone to have brought a European non-DOT/TC tank in to the country and now that it's out of date find it hard to hydro. You probably don't want those problems.

-if in doubt, hopefully you know someone or a shop you trust to check the tank out first.

Good luck!

VI

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom